Author Topic: Hornets  (Read 3793 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Hornets
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:09 am »
I found this hornets nest on a meter at work today.  I won't be going near that one any time soon.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

Re: Hornets
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:47 am »
Give it a few good smacks with a 2x4 and they should leave calmly...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:40:08 am »
Right fair size nest!  Spectaclde Pro works well, hit them from a distance about dark and soak the nest well?  The paper absorbs the spray and keeps on working.  That one might take a whole can!  On the other hand, the meter just keeps ticking away! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:42:59 am »
That nest needs a good dousing of wasp and hornet spray from 20' away with non-conductive spray.
 I haven't found any hornets or yellow jackets yet this year. As wet as it's been(almost 80" so far) here they will probably all be above ground.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:56:00 am »
That nest is fine just where it is.  I'm not touching it.  One of the hornets hit me in the elbow when I was taking that picture.  Luckily it was a dry fire and I didn't get stung.  This winter I might take it down.  Hopefully they build somewhere else. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
Well, glad to see some of those type insects. They are scarse as hens teeth around here this year.
Might have something to do with the bee shortage as well.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:06:32 pm »
 :o That is one serious hornet nest. Wouldn't it be great if you could just...  :-M
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 06:11:22 am »
Yup, never was very fond of them. Seems like wherever I have them build a nest and remove it, their right back again the next year. Not sure if it's because it's a good place for nest or they leave some kind of calling card.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:55 am »
Apparently if you leave the nest they won't build there again. People hang inflated brown paper bags around their houses to deter wasp and hornets. I haven't tried this but there ya go.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:38:30 am »
The SpecracidePro seems to deter their return for several years.  I have used it on nests bigger than a football, as well as small entry hole nests, just have to keep locating the nests and spraying!  They reall seem to like my "little red trailer" especially the frame and the broken tail light >:D!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »
I hate bees and wasps as much as the next guy, but you have to admire the beauty of that thing...from afar.

I've been lucky enough to collect 3 basketball sized ones that are now hanging along side a few deer mounts.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 03:43:06 pm »
I agree rps3. They can make some beautiful nest and that one there is a real beauty.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 06:51:03 pm »
Okay, I see the beauty in it, but I still want to sneak up on that thing and :-M! (my brother and I got massacred by hornets when we were kids). 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:34 pm »
Was probably 11 or 12 at summer camp and we were marking a trail, when we cut into a huge bee hive!  I was holding a paint can 3rd in line and the kid, in front of me turned and knocked the can up and onto me, burst past running as fast as he could, the counselor yelled to Get off the trail and stand still, which I did.  The bees chased the other kids more than a mile.  One kid apparently ran 3 miles back to the main camp.  I think I got stung maybe twice, the paint smell helped I'm sure!  Bees don't bother me much, wasps, hornets, and Yellowjackets are another matter!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 07:34:08 am »
I actually enjoy the occasional honey bee sting. It's actually used as therapy for MS, back pain, arthritis, ect. 

Nigerian Proverb