Author Topic: Hornets  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Hornets
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 11:14:38 am »
I second what Aaron said..
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 01:03:47 pm »
My neighbour was a bee keeper and he kept a small hive with a glass front on his mantle. It had a wire mesh tunnel leading outside. Very cool to watch. Anyway if his arthritis was acting up he would just grab a few bees out of the hive and get them to sting his knuckles. He claimed it worked.
The worst, meanest thing I've heard of is going out at night with a garbage can and knocking the nest into the can. Slam the lid and put the garbage out.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »
That is attempted murder! Assult with many deadly weapons!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 07:07:09 am »
There are a lot of massive hornet nest removal videos on youtube, some of them are so massive it makes you wonder why the land owners let them get so huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8ls5oN3ps

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 08:08:03 am »
Statement is correct.That's one massive hornets nest.I have some the size in the house like Clints' post.We got the hornets and a couple of different type wasps.Paper wasp and mud dobbers.
We have bees for honey consumption here too.Just a few hives is all,but do sell a little.Plan on expanding with more hives though.Interesting hobby.Very good and tasty.Many people go way beyond it being a hobby.Seems there is a trend around lately with more bee keepers appearing.I have a friend near KC that has his bees for joint therapy also.He swears by it's effectiveness.
We don't over react to bee stings here but it can occasionally happen.Bad little hombre in my area of the woods is the wild small bumble bee that llves in brush piles/holes in the ground/wood piles etc.Actually anywhere really.Even inside clothes line pole cavities.The thing about them is they can bite repeatably without dying and hit you in a swarm if their nest is disturbed.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:06 am »
Meant to get back to this thread but did'nt have any pics yet.With that solved here's a few.Seems most people around here have these inside their houses and pretty common.They are unique though that's for sure if all your used to seeing is honey bees.

Construction of the inside of them.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed