Author Topic: another tree q...hornbeam  (Read 1927 times)

Offline nsherve

another tree q...hornbeam
« on: August 02, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »
I should probably have waited 'till I did more looking into what needs to be cleared for that oak tree...
There're a couple (not big, not small) poplar trees that are in line to catch the oak tree, and I've heard/read they're pretty good for arrowshafts, but...how about hornbeam (not hophornbeam)? They're pretty good and straight looking, not a lot of muscle bumps, and are pretty good size (not saplings or shoots) so would need to be split. I may try one of the bigger ones for a bow..but I'd like to know about it's possibility for arrows. Anybody try that?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: another tree q...hornbeam
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:49 pm »
The poplar is the best one you have mentioned so far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 05:02:44 am »
I've built a lot of arrows out of Poplar.  They shoot well, stay straight and don't break easily.  I'd start with the Poplar first.  If you use up that tree then you can move to the others.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:49:23 am »
nsherve....Seems there are a number of woods that do duel duty[arrow shafts and bows] in the archery world.Some like hickory are great or handles too.I can only speak for my local woods here experimenting with them.Split timber type shafts though.The list is rather long.Hickory,black & honey locust,walnut,oak,ash,& maple to begin with.I've yet to try hackberry or KCT for arrow shafts but they might work well too.
Ironically the local osage the best bow wood here does not please me for arrow shafts.A combination of too elastic and dense making it non suitable for me.
I agree with you about the shoot shafts though.I love shooting my dogwoods,plum,and multi-flora-rose shafts.It's easier to find these for arrow shafts than using shoots from trees for me.
All you can do is try the hornbeam for shafts and see what it makes and shoots like.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed