Author Topic: Skunk vs .625 blowgun  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Skunk vs .625 blowgun
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:36:26 pm »
I had this posted as part of a thread in the Around the Campfire subforum,  figured some of you guys might find it interesting and worthy of its own thread

I've had a skunk problem for a couple of weeks and last night I'd had enough.  Not only are the skunks tearing up stuff around the yard,  they started jumping up on the deck railing and digging out the planters built in to the railing.  They crossed the line from nuisance to destructive.

So I went out about 10-ish when they usually start coming around and sure enough there's one in the yard doing her thing.

I had just watched a video online where a guy killed a black bear with a dart.  So I pulled out my .625 cal blowgun with a broadhead dart and began my backyard hunt.  Stalked to within 10 feet of the muzzle end of my blowgun using the weakest flashlight setting I have.  Shot the bugger and ran in to the house like the devil himself was chasing me.  About 10 mins later I got my nerve to go out and check in the results, with trusty flashlight in hand.  Cautiously round the corner of the deck, expecting and enraged zombie skunk to exact NBC vengeance at any moment.

Instead I see a cute little furball all curled up, looking like she's sleeping, about 5 feet from where I last saw her.  Wait another 10 mins to make sure she isn't playing possum.  Still not breathing or moving so it's time to poke her with a long stick.  Long stick inspection checks out, she's definately dead.

Put on some gloves and inspected the area.  The plastic cone popped off the back of the dart on impact.  The dart itself went through and though and found it with the tip about an 8th inch stuck in a piece of wood nearby.  Posted a pic of the dart below.  It's not those half hearted attempts where they just flatten the tip to look like a broadhead.   It has real beveled and sharpened edges (though like most broadheads from a factory they benefit greatly from a sharpening before deployment)

Not wanting to completely waste a life I went ahead and skinned her.  I didn't go anywhere near the scent glands.   I did a diamond cut around the posterior parts to avoid them all together.  Took the two side points of the diamond up the rear legs.  The other two points went up to the tail and up the abdomen and then just peeled her like a glove.

The dart went in through her left side and out the right, severing the little blood vessels of her heart.  The way she reacted and the fact she didnt spray leads me to think it was very quick and most likely quite painless.  She literally curled in a ball with her tail around her and went to sleep.

Yeah, I probably got lucky with this one, but it was interesting to find out that this weapon is actually very deadly to smaller animals.  First time I've taken a critter with it.  I've had it for years and practice alot in doors during the winter months, just never thought much of it beyond the novelty, since we don't have poison dart frogs in North America and whatnot.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Skunk vs .625 blowgun
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 03:23:41 pm »
Great hunt dieselcheese. I love it. I saw that video and that's a pretty impressive weapon. I'd be pretty proud of your hunt. I'm thinking there's not many people on this planet that have that hunt on their list. It could be your in a league all your own. Thanks for sharing and glad you won the battle with your "flower"
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:14:58 pm »
That's cool! I love it. I have three and I put a pistol laser on one. That up's the game.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:38:07 am »
Good solution Aarron.Glad it worked out.Although not all skunks or situations are the same as far as whether they spray or not.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:51:38 pm »
For fun, make yourself a 4 foot diameter foam dartboard and blow a game of darts with friends in the evening.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »
I'm really getting curious now. I might have to try making one. Always was pretty good with a straw and a spit wade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 03:28:28 pm »
Skunk hides always made me really good possible bags and hats in the past.A quiver would work great also.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:23:51 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 05:30:02 pm »
We used to make them at work with(I think) 3/4" electrical conduit. We formed a cone of paper and pushed an artist paint brush (we used them for oiling) through it. drop it into the pipe and mark it and then cut it off. I had more hot air than anyone I guess but I could get well over 100' with it. My grandson and I made a small one out of a model sailboat mast( about 3/8" ID). I was getting just under a 100'. We made darts out of 1/8" bamboo skewers and a paper cone. At 15-20' they hit the target with authority. What really surprised me was how accurate you can be with very little practice.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:33:11 pm by DC »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 07:20:55 am »
 @dieselcheese
from what i read slingshot broadhead darts (coldsteel reviews) are far less accurate than regular one
is that your experience too?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 06:55:18 pm »
@dieselcheese
from what i read slingshot broadhead darts (coldsteel reviews) are far less accurate than regular one
is that your experience too?

I'm not certain what a sl slingshot dart is.  I did a google search and saw images of short arrows shot from a slingshot?  I don't have any experience with these at all.

I took a half dozen shots at a gopher poking his hesd out of his hole the other day, almost point blank range, and missed horribly.  Going to keep an eye out for thistles next year as I think the thistle down darts may stay more centered in the blow gun.  My theory is that the cone on commercial darts doesn't hold the dart centered in the bore.  The tip exits facing whatever direction it wants to, but mostly point down scraping along the bore.   I'm only guessing here, but by the looks of the thistle down fletched darts I'm thinking it would help support the dart and keep it more aligned parallel with the bore. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:29 pm »
How about three pieces of stiff fishing line or something right behind the point to hold it centered?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 04:28:35 am »
sorry that was a typo
I meant blowgun darts

The tip exits facing whatever direction it wants to, but mostly point down scraping along the bore.   I'm only guessing here, but by the looks of the thistle down fletched darts I'm thinking it would help support the dart and keep it more aligned parallel with the bore. 

+1

maybe smaller diameter blowguns are more accurate and less powerful