Author Topic: Recurving a bow with set  (Read 3441 times)

Offline chrisdaggs

• Thanks you for letting me join the forum
Recurving a bow with set
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:55:08 pm »
I was wondering if it is a good idea to recurve the limbs of a bow if it has any set?  If so would it help? My first completed bowhas taken about an inch and 3/4 or more of set . I still love to shoot it but wondering if it could improve the  performance?
Learning new tricks is a great way to spend the day.

Offline PatM

Re: Recurving a bow with set
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:12 pm »
Try it and you'll have an accurate answer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »
Possibly. How long is it and what is your draw length? A full draw pic always answers a lot of our questions as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 05:33:03 pm »
The bow itself is 69" tip to tip  it still draws 50lbs @28". unfortunately I can't get the picture to fit the size to attach   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 05:37:21 pm »
That is plenty of length for your draw, no matter the wood you used. The amount of set you have isn't so bad. If the bow is tillered well, then recurve the tips and see what you come up with. Expect about 3-7# increase depending on how long the recurves are and how much recurve you add. If anything? You will learn a little something along the way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:41:45 pm »
Thanks. It is actually made of oak  and backed with rawhide.  WIll heating the bow ruin the backing

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 06:14:02 pm »
The rawhide and glue won't hold up to any appreciable degree of heat necessary for recurving.  You'd have to strip it off and re-glue.

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:28 pm »
Good question. Unfortunately I ask the same question too often over dozens of self-bows. But I seldom do anything and just make more bows. I would try heat treating the belly first, reflexing the whole limbs slightly up to the amount of set. If that holds, it might be worth while to recurve the tips up to 2 inches. If you want you can simply recurve the tips up to 2 inches more than the set. Good luck.

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:04 pm »
Thanks for the information I will let you know how it turns out.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 05:35:50 am »
You don't need rawhide the last 8-10" anyhow as its stagnant, peel it off before you heat it up and don't bother replacing it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 06:08:08 am »
Strap it up straight or with maybe 1/2" block under the grip to give a hint of back set and heat treat the belly.
I've done this on a few bows and re-vitalised them. Re-tillering may be necessary to avoid any problem areas just taking set agian.
Be warned, if you try for too much back set you may crack the belly, but even that is repairable with a patch.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2014/04/refurb-progress.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 06:27:34 am »
It has been my experience that recurving finished bows often leads to cracking in the curve and misaligned limbs, proceed with caution.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:55:08 am »
  In most cases if a bow took set it will just take more set if you recurve the tips. If the bow took set because it had tiller problems and you fix the tiller problems after recurving you may improve it.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 10:00:22 am »
  In most cases if a bow took set it will just take more set if you recurve the tips. If the bow took set because it had tiller problems and you fix the tiller problems after recurving you may improve it.

+1 what Steve said.
Maybe piking that stick to 64" or so, fix the tiller problems andheat the whole limb into reflex would help. Don't go for exessive reflex.
If it's me  -  I would make a new one. With more patience esp. through the tillering process.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 05:34:09 am »
You got some good advice from some awesome bowyers.  1 3/4” of set on your first completed bow is really not bad.  I would keep it as is and start on another one. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi