Author Topic: Recurving a bow with set  (Read 3443 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Recurving a bow with set
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 05:54:55 am »
I wont assume his bow isn't tillered well because it took set. I don't know about you guys, but I cant build an oak board bow (or ANY bow) without set, unless I make it 80" long and 2" wide.  If you start with a flat board and it takes 1.75", you're doing well in my little book of bow building. If a fella isn't content with a bow then the bow never gets used. Why not try it and learn something on the way? Experiment now and make the next one even better. That's always been my attitude.

Please understand I'm not arguing or disagreeing with the experts. I just see it differently in this case. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:47:14 am by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:14 am »
The bow itself is 69" tip to tip  it still draws 50lbs @28". unfortunately I can't get the picture to fit the size to attach

How are you trying to post the pics?  There are a few easy (and free!) ways to resize your pics to get them posted.  I usually open them up with MS Paint and reduce the size that way (by using the Resize by Percentage tool).  Then, I upload the pics to Imgur and repost them here (although you can upload the resized pic directly, I just happen to like Imgur!).

It would be cool to see the before and (hopefully) after pics of your bow.  Good luck!!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 12:14:26 pm »
I have to agree with Badger it will probably continue to take more set. That's not much set on a oak bow. If you want a recurve just build another bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline chrisdaggs

• Thanks you for letting me join the forum
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 03:53:39 pm »
I have decided to shoot this one as is but trying a new bow with backseat handle and slightly recurve limbs. The bow shoots well and still draws 50lbs @28"  I have just to busy to respond but thank you for all the good advice.
Learning new tricks is a great way to spend the day.