Author Topic: powerlam on straight-handled bow?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

powerlam on straight-handled bow?
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:45:21 pm »
If you're splicing together billets w/ no deflex glued in, is a powerlam still advisable if you are planning on backing w/ wood?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: powerlam on straight-handled bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »
I've done quite a few spliced "selfbows" with no problem so splices are strong enough on their own but if you're going to back it anyway you might as well stick a lam in there. Unless your backing is one piece, then I don't see any gain.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:45:08 pm »
Makes sense. Thanks Don  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:00:26 am »
I dont think structurally it will make a diffence with using modern epoxy, if your looking to lengthing your fade area as with a PL you can do the same thing with increased riser/fade length with the added advantage of not having to remove limb wood to adjust the area in the fades , I did that on my last strait bow and worked good for me !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:40:21 am »
I've never put a power lam in a bow of any profile or type of construction, and never had a single problem that they're supposed to be needed to cure... so there's that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:45:21 am »
As long as the handle area is thick enough not to bend while drawing there is no need for a power lam. Even with a backing the center can bend if not thick enough. If you start with a 3/4" belly lam and keep the handle area that thick and reduce the belly thickness to the limbs you will be OK. If your belly is thinner, say 3/8" to 1/2" thick there is a chance for the handle area to bend which puts the solidity of the handle riser at risk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:36:40 am »
I could see a use for PL on a strait , short working limb bow such as a lever or tip wedge lam bow or if you wanted to increase the fade transition with out increasing handle length , some of the trilam guys on here use them all the time ,I haven't seen them used much on strait bows but would make sense to me with listed above. I have only used them on high reflexed stiff outer bows where the lower limbs are highly stressed but the concept is the same.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:38:17 am »
In your example I don't see why you need one.   

About the only time I would say I need a power lam is when I'm doing a spliced backing or when doing a lot of deflex.  Even then if you build the handle up enough and feather it to working limbs, it's probably not needed.  That being said I do use them most of the time.  I like them for aesthetics and like Ritchie mentions it strengthens the fade area where you have more freedom to do what you want with the handle. 

I'm working on a Marc style bow, and I would not feel comfortable without a power lam on this one.  It's going to have a spliced backing.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:28:11 am »
The backing and the handle riser will reinforce the splice plenty.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
A lot of great insight here as always. Pat you said all the right stuff, because the bow in question has only about 3/4" thickness at the handle if that. It's also 2" short of the recommended working-limb length (I'm leaving it quite wide and it's lilac- a very elastic wood -so I'm hoping to get away with it).

All that being said, it sounds like a powerlam might not be a bad idea.

I really appreciate all your input guys and I really hope your Marc-style bow works out Ben! Lord knows I've had a heck of time making one.  O:)

:)

Nigerian Proverb