Author Topic: Bandsaw blade steel  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Morgan

Bandsaw blade steel
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:02:27 am »
We have a huge bandsaw at work that broke a blade yesterday, I brought home 12 pieces of the blade that are 24-26” long. The blade is 1 1/2” wide from gullet to spine and just a hair over 1/16” thick. All I know of the steel is that it will rust. I’m going to see if I can harden it this weekend, if so I’ll have a lot of steel for short blade or fillet knives. If not, I’ll have a lifetime supply of trade point steel. Anyone have any experience with them?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bandsaw blade steel
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:33 am »
You may need to soften them first so you can shape what you want then harden them back after you cut out what you want. Those band saw blades make good knives, trade points and bow scrapers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:01:42 am »
Most likely 15n20 steel
U will have to anneal before drilling any pin holes or use carbide. Or titex drills.
Should make great blades .

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »
Thanks folks. I don’t know why making some scrapers didn’t occur to me, What is the desired hardness of a card scraper?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:30:49 pm »
Same as a knife I guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »
I have made a bunch of scrapers out of bandsaw blades.  I didn't mess with the hardness.  I ground them to shape and used a file and burnishing rod.  I kept them from getting too hot while grinding.  They hold an edge for a long time.  I'll go a year or two before having to redo the burr.  I've made a couple of knives the same way.  I just keep dipping it in water to keep the temperature from messing up the hardness.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:32:59 pm »
I have made a bunch of scrapers out of bandsaw blades.  I didn't mess with the hardness.  I ground them to shape and used a file and burnishing rod.  I kept them from getting too hot while grinding.  They hold an edge for a long time.  I'll go a year or two before having to redo the burr.  I've made a couple of knives the same way.  I just keep dipping it in water to keep the temperature from messing up the hardness.

Sounds great.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:06:25 am »
I have a great, little knife from a bandsaw blade Shannon Walker made for me a few years ago. I carry it a lot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:46:43 am »
I have a great, little knife from a bandsaw blade Shannon Walker made for me a few years ago. I carry it a lot.

I’m pretty excited to see how this steel turns out, really hoping that it is a steel that I can harden and temper by simple mean. The manufacturer website says the steel is a carbon, chrome, tool, nickel, stainless alloy. Probably be some light patterning with an acid dip. I prefer thin blade knives for skinning and cutting meat, my favorite skinning knife for years was an old carbon steel kitchen knife that the blade was broke in half and I re-profiled with a file.  It was about as thick as this steel is.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:17 pm »

I am going to send you a box of scrapers to sharpen for me. I usually have to resharpen a couple of times on each bow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »

I am going to send you a box of scrapers to sharpen for me. I usually have to resharpen a couple of times on each bow.

The quality of the steel makes the difference.  I think I have an extra scraper.  I can send it to you.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 10:38:57 am »
I wonder if you could make a curve knife from one, say for Kupska cups??
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline jim l.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:29 pm »
Bandsaw blade steel is pretty awsome stuff. It does need annealing but will usually accept a differential heat treat quite well (hamon included).

Be careful with the heat treat, though. It's easy to forget that there isn't a lot of steel there and you can temper the hardness right out.

They make for excellent fleshing and fillet knives.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 07:01:14 am »
Oh my, I had a saw mill down the road from me in MI. They would throw the old blades out on trash day. One day I picked one up and took an angle grinder to score and break into strips. Gave boat loads away to people for trade points. Still only have a couple pieces left. I will hoard/covet them now.  It never occurred to me about scrapers and fillet knives.   I feel like the old commercial "wow I could have had a V8" John

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »
  Run your drill bit slow and use turpentine for cutting fluid...It really works...Trick from the 1940's
                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;