Author Topic: Bareshafting bamboo question  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Bareshafting bamboo question
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:06:28 pm »
Trying out bareshafting for the first time, bamboo shafts are impacting and grouping well, but sticking out of the bale nock right.  Shot a group of fletched carbon arrows to be my control and these are grouping relatively in the same spot.

Spine too stiff?  Or don't worry about it if the arrows are impacting where they are supposed to?

I've read a ton before posting and have come across a number of discussions from various forums.  Many say that  if the spine is too stiff or too weak then the point of impact would also change accordingly, if they are are impacting where they are supposed to, then spine is right on and it could possibly be shooter form.

Now to make it more interesting, I spined the shafts and marked the stiff side.  Nocked them accordingly to put the stiff side next to the bow.  But I did notice that on a number of the shafts they were about half less nock right with the stiff side away from the bow but point of impact was not noticeably changed.  This makes me want to think that the spines are actually too stiff, but if so, wouldn't the point of impact  also be noticeably different?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bareshafting bamboo question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:20:28 pm »
Adding a heavier point will make the arrow shoot like one with lighter spine. 25grs heavier = 5# less spine.
If the arrow shoots better with the stiff side out then shoot it that way. That is the ultimate goal, good arrow flight and none of this stuff is written in stone.
 Try fletching one of the cane shafts and see how it flies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:51:31 am »
I'd try as Pat suggested. Can you see how the bareshaft bamboo arrow is flying through the air? The way they stick out of target isn't always representing the way they are actually flying through the air. If I shoot them bareshaft from six yards and they seem to my eye to straighten out I feel that's good. I fletch them and try to replicate them. It's interesting to me to experiment with different point weights , spines and lengths. Kinda helps see how one terribly off shoots and then come up with a combination that improves it.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:20:07 am »
They fly all the way to the target in a nock right position.

You guys think it may be a stiff spine situation?   I have some heavier field points coming in this next week,  I'll give them a try or add some weight inside the bamboo near the tip on a couple and see how this affects change.

Purchased these from a different supplier thsn the last couple of batches and left them an inch longer than I thought they should be.  Next time I'll leave them 2 inches longer and bareshaft test from that point.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »
I think you're right. Nock right has always been too stiff for me. I made a set of test arrows from something like 25-60# spine in 5# steps all with 125gr tips. When I shot them in sequence from limp to stiff the arrows stuck in the target in a perfect fan from left to right.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »
Even if you can't get them to go in straight the fletching will steer them to do so. Get them as close as possible then fletch them.  (SH)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:57:32 pm »
I'd agree with your conclusion. I'd also agree with your testing procedure. Give it a try. I found it very interesting and like Pat says. They don't have to be perfect. The fletching will slow the tail and straighten the flight but the closer to perfect the lesser amount of fletching and better flight you'll get.
Bjrogg

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:31:00 pm »
Added about 25 grains to a couple of arrows and thst changed the bareshaft flight for the better.  One flew dead straight and the other nock left ever so slightly but an improvement over how it flew previously.

Thanks for the tips!  Can't wait to get the rest of the batch changed over and get some fletches on them.
-Homer Simpson-

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:12:57 pm »
Glad you did some experimenting dieselchesse. I find bareshafting very interesting. If you really wanted to you could probably shorten those nock left ones just a little bit to stiffen them up just a tad.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:16:13 pm by bjrogg »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 05:16:09 am »
If you really wanted to you could probably shorten those nock left ones just a little bit to stiffen them up just a tad.
Bjrogg

If they're tad more "nock left" than you'd prefer, I'd shorten 'em a bit . . . like 1/4"at a time.
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857