Author Topic: Balancing arrows.  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Mafort

Balancing arrows.
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »
so i had a question that, of course, can only be asked here because you all have the knowledge. Anyways i was wondering how do you all balance your arrows? i notice that mine even with stone points are still somewhat point heavy. do you guys add something to the nock end like a hard wood/horn Reinforcement similar to arrows used by heavy english longbows? i ask all this because the arrows im making for the trade and i want them to be as perfect as they can be for the guy thats getting them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Balancing arrows.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 01:13:45 pm »
Point heavy arrows seem to be more accurate or at least correct quicker. The degree of forward weight is up for discussion, some like them heavier, some like a lighter forward end. There is a formula for determining the FOC (forward of center) weight distribution. I've messed with it a little but most of my arrows, hill cane or hardwood shoots are naturally forward heavy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
Do a google search for FOC arrows.   I like mine to be point heavy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:11:38 pm »
You never want to add weight in the rear of an arrow. The point end pulls the arrow through the air while the fletching drags the back down keeping it behind the point where it belongs.  Feather don't guide arrows, only drag the rear down.  If the balance point of an arrow is closer to the point than the tail, you're doing alright.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 04:05:34 pm »
Just like Pat and Pearl said. A spear or Atlatl dart needs weight forward also. If weight is to far to the rear, the rear will pass up the front.
Osage Outlaws suggestion is a good one to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise