Author Topic: How to proceed?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

How to proceed?
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:11:47 am »
I was just about ready to brace this bow when the backing on one limb de-lamed to about 6" from the fade. I know why this happened... I ran out of epoxy and the limb in question got less than it's fair share.

Nothing broke, so I'm thinking I can just glue up that limb again. However, here's my question... Do I glue in the original amount of reflex or do I match it to the amount that's currently in the intact limb?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to proceed?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:40 am »
What kind of epoxy did you use. You may be able to heat the belly enough to make the glue release, clean up the glue surfaces and re-glue.
 I'd say either you didn't add enough glue to that area or you clamped it too tight and starved the joint of glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:33 am »
I used Smooth On. I'm almost 100% sure it was lack of glue.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:09 am »
I really like the looks of that bow. 

That's a tricky one to answer.  At initial glue up, the glue is holding shear forces with the original thickness of the wood.  As wood is removed, there's less resistance from the wood but the forces in the glue remain the same, and the limbs "gain" more reflex.  So reflexing to the original amount won't hold the same glue forces since the wood is now thinner.  If you can't re-glue both limbs at once like Pat is suggesting, I would try and match the other limb with a little more added in for spring back.  It's probably your best bet.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:10:55 am »
I'm with Ben

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:19:04 am »
I like that Ben and if DC does too that's good enough for me. I'll let you know what I decide to do.  :OK

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »
Well I decided not to remove the whole backing cause the joint is very good right up to where I ran out of epoxy. I cut a new single-limb caul identical to the opposite limb w/ a bit more reflex to account for springback and glued her up once again.

Fingers crossed...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:33 pm »
Always mix too much glue :), it's a little late for that advice isn't it. ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:13:36 pm »
Good advice by these fellas.It ought to be  a very nice bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 09:25:59 pm »
Hilarious Don  ::)  lol

Sure hope so Ed. I've screwed up attempting this style more times than I care to admit.  O:)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:08 pm »
Don't worry!  I can probably find a way to screw up a sapling full round, braced without any scraping, planing, Sanding, or bark  removal, or finish!  Good luck with the re-glue process!
Hawkdancer :BB  (SH) >:D
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:05 am »
Thanks dancer.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb