Author Topic: Sit down bow bench plans  (Read 6900 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Sit down bow bench plans
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:00 pm »
After a serious consideration of the facts of life and limb, and a couple other joints, I realized that I am not 21 anymore, nor even 26!( the 3rd time) - I need to make me a sit down bow bench.  Saw several at MOJAM, but didn't take pics, and there was one posted earlier, but no build along or load list.  Plans would be appreciated or at least a couple good pics and a load list.  Btw, it would be neat if it is a left handed rig!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ksnow

Re: Sit down bow bench plans
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 05:25:38 am »
Like a shave horse? Or a bench you can mount a vice or stavemaster onto?

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:01:01 am »
More of a bench to mount a vise.  I have a limited space, even after trying to clear out the clutter.  I think the garage troll keeps moving the stuff back! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:07 am »
Jerry, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a set of saw horse brackets a 2x8x8 and a 2x4x8. The 2x4 will make 4 legs, the 2x8 for the bench and the brackets to attach the legs to the bench.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:51:19 am »
Jerry - sent you an email.

The one I keep coming back to is the bench and vise, I had some steps that I rebuilt and kept the 2 X 12 s and made a couple of benches out of them. Heck for stout and heavy enough they are rock solid.

I just bolted a couple of small vises to them and found them adequate for most bow building tasks.

Improvements included hinging another 2X10 to one end and building a wood box structure on the hinged part. That was the new resting place for the vise.

This allowed for a more relaxed, less strain on the back, sitting location. Now it's getting darn heavy and isn't portable as I'd like sooo.

Building a new one, using less wood, narrower boards, and we'll see how it works. I'll take a photo when I learn how the telephone camera works.

Gifford