Author Topic: MoJam Molly 2018  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Mad Max

Re: MoJam Molly 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »
It's a really cool bow and it shoots great too.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »
It's a really cool bow and it shoots great too.

I'm really glad! I was concerned that getting soaked at mojam might had ruined it. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 08:36:10 am »
Nice looking bow

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 12:41:55 pm »
Come on, Patrick, that was just a brief shower!  Just because we couldn't see through it for an hour or so!! (R (R (R (R!  Besides, it was soft water!  Unless you were out in it! >:D (lol). Good work on the bow, btw!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 05:42:02 pm »
Come on, Patrick, that was just ah brief shower!  Just because we couldn't see through it for an hour or so!! (R (R (R (R!  Besides, it was soft water!  Unless you were out in it! >:D (lol). Good work on the bow, btw!
Hawkdancer

Thanks Hawk,  but the bottom limb got soaked and really screwed up the tiller.  I was just glad it didn't ruine it.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:24 pm »
Sorry I missed this one. Very nice indeed!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 11:17:34 pm »
Patrick, I know what you mean!  Luckily, my bows were in the SUV, and the windows were up!  My shoes went squish for 2 days, though!  Finally dried them out Friday!  Got over 200 arrows through the hickory, still have to do the handle grip, and the decorating, and sealing finish.  Will post when it is finalized.  Btw, I am interested in the Meare Heath design, is that a "molle" type design?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 12:46:29 pm »
Patrick, I know what you mean!  Luckily, my bows were in the SUV, and the windows were up!  My shoes went squish for 2 days, though!  Finally dried them out Friday!  Got over 200 arrows through the hickory, still have to do the handle grip, and the decorating, and sealing finish.  Will post when it is finalized.  Btw, I am interested in the Meare Heath design, is that a "molle" type design?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer

Glad that hickory is shooting for you. 
Not sure about that bow design bud might have to make a post and ask about that one.

Patrick

Offline gifford

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
You know Jerry, Patrick may have a point on the style of the bow. I think there was a debate about the style on Paleoplanet about it.

In years past, the few folks that made them called them 'Holmegaard' bows, Wikepedia has a good description and photos of reproductions. Holmegaard being the area in Denmark where they were discovered.

I'm not sure of the differences between the Holmegaard Bow and Mollegabet Bow, however I do recall Kyle (MoCoonCatcher) waxing knowledgeably about them at MoJAM 2017 if I recall correctly.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 09:07:10 pm »
Dan,
I'll check them out on the net and see if I get a satisfactory explanation!  Then throw the question out for conversation! 
Jerry
Jerry

Offline gifford

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 08:54:54 am »
Sounds like a good plan..

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:37 pm »
My understanding of the difference between a mollegabet and a holmgaurd is that a mollegabet has a parallel working limb section and a holmgaurd has a tapered working limb section.  Both with levers that are stiff.  Thats what I have been told. 
 (SH)
Patrick

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:46 pm »
I also think that the holmguard has a less abrupt transition to the levers like te molle has.

Btw, great little bow that shot well. I’m glad the rain didn’t mess it up anything serious.

Kyle 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 12:57:14 am »
What I've seen today agrees with Pat and Kyle's description.  The Meare Heath is more of a wide limb with an outer end taper, similar to Paul Comstock's recommendation, but with pin nocks.  Different culture and several thousand years difference!  Both apparently make sweet shooters!
Hawkdancer
Jerry