Author Topic: Splice orientation  (Read 1926 times)

Offline DC

Splice orientation
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:20 pm »
I may have asked this before. Apologies if I have. When you're making a "Z" splice does it matter which way it's oriented? If you look at the pictures the pencil is about where the arrow pass would be cut(maybe a bit higher). Do you think one would have an advantage over the other strength wise?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Splice orientation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »
Makes no difference. I know this because I have spliced a lot of billets together and never paid a nickel of attention to that aspect.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 03:20:19 pm »
I always use the second option since it preserves more glueline if you make a slight dent where the arrow pass will be.   Not a shelf per se but any sort of necked in area if you don't do a full bulbous grip.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 03:27:10 pm »
I have just used a glue on wedge of wood or built up leather so i didnt need to cut into the splice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »
Not to mention the strength gained with a hard backing and a riser section glued in place.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:56:46 pm »
I have just used a glue on wedge of wood or built up leather so i didnt need to cut into the splice.

If you are fine with leaving it  full width as well.

I figure it takes no extra effort to just cut it the  opposite way.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »
Not to mention the strength gained with a hard backing and a riser section glued in place.
I try and do this. Every once in a while I get real nice glue lines in a splice and I like to show it off. Most off them get back, belly and a leather grip :-[ :-[

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »
I always use the second option since it preserves more glueline if you make a slight dent where the arrow pass will be.   Not a shelf per se but any sort of necked in area if you don't do a full bulbous grip.
That's funny. I've always done it the opposite way because I thought of the splice as a weak point and I figured that eliminating some of the weak point would be best. I see your point though, glue line length is what it's all about. I've always doubted it though, hence this post.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »

This is the end result that I'm after. I can always glue in a shelf but I don't use one. I like getting somewhat close to centershot. This one has a short power lam and backing. I didn't put a belly on this because the splice was pretty good, I thought.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 06:46:40 am »
I have spliced at least 75 sets of billets with a Z splice and make mine 3 1/2" so I can hide it under the handle leather. I almost always glue on a piece to build up the handle as well. I have never had a splice fail or even heard about one failing, there is a lot of glue surface in a splice. I cut about 1/4" deep sight window into my bows, because of my short splice I never cut into the splice but I don't think it would matter at all.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »
If you are going to cover with a wrap, I generally glue on my handle before the splice. To explain....your billets would require a build up for each billet then splice, you won't get a much stronger splice in my opinion, yet you WILL plainly see your splice, and require a wrap..

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.