Author Topic: Set  (Read 1817 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Set
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:32:40 pm »
Thought I'd share this cause I think this is a great example of why we don't make bows from green wood.

Some tree guys were over the other day clearing trees and limbs away from power lines. )W(

I convinced them to fell a giant Linden that was infected w/a fungus and just waiting for a windstorm to take out power to the neighborhood.  (W

Anyhow, when that sucker came crashing down, it landed on an American Hornbeam sapling just so as to bend it into a perfect upside-down U.  :o

I just got done cutting away the branches holding it down and let's just say it took a fair amount of set.  ;D 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Set
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »
That wouldn't make much of a snare would it. It sure looks like a string holding it bent over. You wouldn't be trying to snare us would you ;D ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
Id snip that sucker down and let it dry that way. Im sure it would make something cool some day. A guy could train bow wood saplings to grow in reflex and right where you want it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:31 pm »
A while back, I started to straighten some staves a week after harvesting them.

No heat or steam, just using clamps to bend the green wood into a straighter shape.

It works really well, especially removing twists!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:14 pm »
No string DC, I snare, I mean swear.  ;D

I like the way you think Pearl. Hmmmm...

I hear ya meanewood. I have found that drying green wood into reflex doesn't really work, the wood never holds it. But I'd be curious to see if it would have a more permanent effect for removing twist.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:51:50 pm »
Id snip that sucker down and let it dry that way. Im sure it would make something cool some day. A guy could train bow wood saplings to grow in reflex and right where you want it.

I've seen a few Elms of about six inches in diameter bowed over like that by ice or another falling tree. The downside is that trees tend to send up suckers when they get bent over like that.  Mostly from the top side but a few always sneak around the other side.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »
No string DC, I snare, I mean swear.  ;D

I like the way you think Pearl. Hmmmm...

I hear ya meanewood. I have found that drying green wood into reflex doesn't really work, the wood never holds it. But I'd be curious to see if it would have a more permanent effect for removing twist.

I think that if you tied it bent and then left it for 5-10 years you'd have something. A good plan for those that have 5-10 years. ;D ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 07:39:16 pm »
Come on Don, you know I don't have that kind of patience.  :BB

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:03:21 pm »
Come on Don, you know I don't have that kind of patience.  :BB

The biggest problem with that kind of thing is when you're young and have the time you're also not settled. You get about halfway there and move to another home.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:21 am »
I remember reading someplace that Viking shipwrights may well have 'trained' trees to grow into the curved shapes they needed - don't know if that was a theory or evidence based though.