Author Topic: How do I bent Black Locusts?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

How do I bent Black Locusts?
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:38:44 pm »
I'm sorry to have to ask but I was un-able to find the answer. Do you use dry heat or oil and heat to straighten / bend Black Locusts? Thank you Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: How do I bent Black Locusts?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:46:26 pm »
Depends on how far you need to bend it. For just alignment, gentle recurves,  or deflex/reflex level bending, just dry heat works fine. For sharp recurves I like to steam and have the heat gun ready to add some extra heat to walk the wood around te form. For me, black locust seems to take a bit more heat than Osage before it wants to move.

Kyle

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:17:35 pm »
I always used direct heat for straightening and flipping the tips. works great using a heat gun. just stay back further than say osage because it scorches easier.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:45:54 pm »
I agree w/ cooncatcher. In fact w/ any wood I always use steam or boil for sharp curves.

Straightening, gentle curves, ect. dry heat works great.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:45:13 pm »
Thank you all for the information. Much appreciated. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:17:06 pm »
I’m about to start posting some more on a black locust recurve in the bow trade thread. I used a mixture of dry heat and steam on this one. It’s starting with 2.5” reflex. I just started to flex it and am hoping to have it braced before I quit in the morning.

Kyle