Author Topic: Idea to waterproof rawhide backings.  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Morgan

Idea to waterproof rawhide backings.
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:11:17 pm »
Ok, I’m sure this has probably been done before, so if anyone knows please chime in with whether it worked or not. I was thinking that you could mix a 60/40 or so mix of water/titebond3 in a jar and rehydrate the backing strips in that. That would surely carry the glue deep into the rawhide and give it more water resistance. Reckon that would work? If not, why?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Idea to waterproof rawhide backings.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:48 pm »
You could put a thin coat TBIII over the rawhide. You don't need to thin it although thinning won't hurt, although it will add more moisture to the rawhide.
 Any regular finish will seal the rawhide well enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:53:29 pm »
I top my backs including wood after staining, sinew, rawhide and flax roving with a pva glue but for that job i use Weldbond because it dries absolutely clear.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
Thanks Pat.
I figured that if I thined it out I could put dried strips right in the thinned mixture and it would draw the glue into the hide as it re-hydrated. Probably just over thinking things.  I’ve got a little sapling stave I’m wanting to do for my boy.  The rings are paper thin. Though I think it will be fine for a youth bow, my boy can be rough on bows and I’d like the extra insurance of the rawhide. He’ll also drop one in wet grass without batting an eye lol.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 03:00:00 pm »
I top my backs including wood after staining, sinew, rawhide and flax roving with a pva glue but for that job i use Weldbond because it dries absolutely clear.

Hoosier, are you talking about the weldwood plastic resin you mix with water? Does that cure through evaporation or chemical reaction like epoxy?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:17:45 pm »
I tried a similar thing with diluted acrylic floor finish. It did dry harder than regular rawhide and it did resist re-wetting somewhat but it still softened when left to soak. That said anyone that leaves their bow soaking overnight deserves what they get ;D ;D

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:49:50 am »

Hoosier, are you talking about the weldwood plastic resin you mix with water? Does that cure through evaporation or chemical reaction like epoxy?

No it’s weldbond not weld wood. The big box home improvement guys sell it. It’s in a silver bottle usually right next to Titebond and the other wood glues.  Craft stores have it too. The crafters like the fact that it dries clear.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:28:21 am »
... my boy can be rough on bows and I’d like the extra insurance of the rawhide. He’ll also drop one in wet grass without batting an eye lol.

I'm 70, and I can tell you your son will profit by the experience  if you allow consequences to carelessness. You will both suffer if you don't.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:31:31 pm »
I use Tru-Oil over rawhide backings. Sometimes it makes the rawhide translucent which gives it a nice look IMO and makes the rawhide more water resistant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC