Author Topic: Left wing right wing and jigs...help me make sense  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Left wing right wing and jigs...help me make sense
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:23:48 pm »
I have a bunch of commercial right wing fletches  my homemade jig took a dump on me so I think I'm going to order a commercially made jig.

In doing some research I've become at odds with  what I'm seeing.   My right wing fletches naturally curl to the left, so do I want a jig with a left offset or helix?  The jigs sayjng "right wing" seem to want to glue the fletch to the right for a clockwise rotation.  But if I attempt to bend these fletches to the right, opposite of where they naturally want to curl,  they scrunch up.

In the image below they show the "left wing" glued in the same direction my right wing fletches want to be naturally.

So do I actually want a "left wing" jig?  Is this one of those situations where they are avtually referring to vanes amd calling it left wing because it points left, so as not to confuse the wheel bow guys?

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Left wing right wing and jigs...help me make sense
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »
When you look down a RW feather from the rear the quill is on the left. That image is correct. LW start out and go inward. RW start in and go outward. Again, looking from the rear.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:37:16 pm »
When you look down a RW feather from the rear the quill is on the left. That image is correct. LW start out and go inward. RW start in and go outward. Again, looking from the rear.

My quills run down the left side as you describe.   But they also curl to the left.

So do I want a jig that will force them to the right?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:44:29 pm by dieselcheese »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:09 pm »
If you are going to buy a new fletch jig get a JoJan Multifletch straight fletch. You can adjust it for right or left wing by just offseting the jig one way or the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »
If you plan to stick with RW and are intending on buying a single side jig. Buy a RW jig. The JoJan are pretty slick as well. I've used both extensively, but own a Bitzenburger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:30:11 am »
All the old archers shot left wing for right handed shooters and right wing for lefties. For me, out of my selfbows left wing shoots much better for me than right wing, I am a righty.

Some say it doesn't matter but back in the day I never saw a serious right handed tournament shooter shooting right wing feathers.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:53:20 pm »
That's an interesting tidbit.  I started with right hand,  well, cause you have to start somewhere and just never got around to trying out left hand.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 05:46:23 pm »
I've used RW for 20 years and Im a righty. I think you are fine sticking with it, if you choose.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:02 pm »
I have 6 Art Butner hill cane arrows that I fletched, 3 right wing, 3 left wing. I can't tell the difference when I shoot them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:11:55 am »
Can't tell much difference in either but I still use Left wing. Seems I get a little better clearance off the shelf on my self bows.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 07:15:45 am »
I accidently put right wing feathers in a left wing clamp while making a dozen extra fancy arrows one time, surprisingly they shot just fine.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:39 am »
I have friends who save me the wings from turkey and geese. I use primaries from both.. I do have to be careful when fletching to keep them separated. So far neither has made me shoot as straight as I would like. (SH)
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »
So far neither has made me shoot as straight as I would likye. (SH)

Truer words have never been spoken  ;D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:00 am »
This topic keeps coming up.
If you hold the feather in the clamp from the jig and run the quill along on some 120 grit sandpaper you can take off some of the excess and the feather will sit much straigher. Basically fletchings are poorly prepared, but then they are relatively cheap. I actually touch mine onto the belt sander running an 80 grit belt, but it takes some care.
Note, this process can actually help 'em lie at the right angle as in the raw state they often don't sit up vertical from the shaft, more like this / than | . By holding the clap at the correct angle you can get 'em to sit much better.
For flight arrow fletchings I take 'em down so that there is barely any quill left, it also solves the problem of the quill scratching your hand.
Like most things, the finish is proportional to the time and effort applied... the devil is in the detail.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 10:49:42 am »
I just adjust my Jo-Jan multi as well. Set it to lay the feather on nicely. Or...You can buy an extra clamp in S, RW, or LW to go in the same jig. The commercial feathers I buy are RW, so I have a RW clamp for those. If I grind my own turkey feathers, I usually use the straight and offset it. I've been tying on southeastern two fletch the past few years so I don't use my clamp, other than to do my wife's arrows.