Author Topic: New privet arrows in the works  (Read 2441 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

New privet arrows in the works
« on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:19 pm »
was able to get a lot done on my privet arrows today. They are a very hard wood and tuff to sand but worth it when they are done. they have real nice weight to them and just dont break. I need to keep up on them though. October 5th will be here before you know it. thank goodness i was able to get those two nice toms the last two years. I finally dont need to search for arrows.

[/img]

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: New privet arrows in the works
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »
Very nice arrows Anthony! Privet is among the shoot shafts I wanna try. Might have to work a trade with you for some raw shoots. Cheers- Brendan

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »
I will be cutting a lot more this winter. If i have some of these that arent in my weight i will be glad to. I will have to go out in the shed and see what i have. I might have some more left.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »
Privet is something I would like to try, also!  If you do have extra, I'd like to work a trade for some.  Help make room in your shed (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:34:23 am »
I think you'll like them more once shooting them. I have always found the dense heavy arrows with concentric rings are extremely hard to break.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:51:38 am »
It's great you discovered local shoots to use.An endless supply at your disposal.Cutting plenty for seasoned ones available whenever needed.An assembly line of processing in stages.Nice arrows btw.I've enjoyed using my local shoots for all kinds of shooting here too.Especially hunting because of their density and clean flight.They will bend quite far before they will ever break.Very tough like you said.
Dogwoods and plum are my local shoots.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:01:01 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:19:53 pm »
Bow ED i agree. I also use dogwood its just easier for me to find privet. I keep telling myself i am going to mark the dog wood with marker tape but i have forgot these last two years. I am not that good at identifying dogwood with all the leaves of it in the winter. When i did cut some it was with a old timer...even older than me...lol. he was good at tree identification just by bark.Privet and wild rose are easy for me to identify. for wild rose it usually finds me first.....just jumps out and "grabs" me.  lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:50 pm »
I'm sure I don't have privet here.I did trade for some ocean spray and hill cane.For rose I use local multiflora rose.It's a little thicker than dogwood to get the spine.That stuff will find you too.The dogwood shafts I cut are always red in color usually.I'm lucky enough to have lots around me here.The plum here is a little denser than the dogwood so the shafts can get narrower yet which I like.5/16" or less & 29" long will still give me a 650 grain arrow with a 125 grain tip or broadhead.Harder to get a set of a dozen together than the dogwood though.
What do you get out of the privet?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed