Author Topic: Stave ring question?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline lotojarich

Stave ring question?
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »
Hi, I have cut a handful of stave's and have them in various stages of drying. All are Hawthorn, Chokecherry, or Service berry of about 3-4 inches in diameter. I thought that if the stave grew fairly straight up on flat ground you were supposed to use the wider ringed side of the stave as the back of the bow. Now I have been reading where people prefer the narrower ringed side. On one side of the stave's the outside rings are about 3/16" wide and maybe 1/16" wide on the narrow side. Does it matter which side you use or do you find the bow in the stave based on shape of stave and position of the knots without concern about the width of the rings? Any help would be appreciated.
Archery... Just the word seems to invoke awe in the minds and hearts of men.
Nearly every recorded culture has used the bow and arrow to civilize, feed,
protect, and entertain.  ....Douglas Spotted Eagle

Rich ... Salt Lake City, UT

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Stave ring question?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:14 pm »
In wood from a leaning tree, the upper side is tension wood and is uaully thinner ringed, but springs into reflex when you split it. On a tree growing straight up, you shouldn't have any reaction wood, and the thicker ringed side might be better; but either side will probably make a bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:19:06 am »
I think I would split one, separating the thin ringed side from the thick ring side and see how each reacts. Dean Torges, in "Hunting the Osage Bow" talks about taking core samples of trees to determine the tension side and I believe he was talking about cutting straight trunked trees.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
Don't closer rings equal greater strength, and therefore be better for a back?
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:32:09 pm »
Just depends. On conifers such as yew, that's usually true. On ring-porous hardwoods, thick rings are usually stronger, except for maybe reaction wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.