Author Topic: Bad release...maybe?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Bad release...maybe?
« on: August 27, 2018, 11:49:01 am »
Been post this for a while but thought maybe I could work through it.  I've noticed over the summer my release changing and wanted to see if you guys think I developed a bad habit.

I shoot instinctive and like everyone, have good and bad days.  I try to pull through with my drawing hand as I release.  I've been noticing that my drawing fingers are slapping me on the side of the cheek bone upon release.

Often it's just annoying, but sometimes it starts to give me a bit of a headache if I shoot enough.

What do you guys think?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

Re: Bad release...maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:09:05 pm »
I went through this a while back. I felt like Nelson was saying,"Why are you hitting yourself?" I have no idea what I did but it went away. I know that's no help. :D If I had to guess I would say that it was my stance closing up. I found that my bow arm was swinging left a bit.(I'm a righty) It was also shortening my draw length.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:56 pm »
Haha, now I'm going to have the Simpsons in my head every time I go to thr range for a while.

I'll watch my stance when I shoot tomorrow,  see if there's a connection. 

I know I'm only using just a smidge over 27 inches of my 28..5 in draw length, but figure after the elk hunt I want to change thungs up, spend some time working with 3 under and that'd be a good time to make other corrections as well.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:10 am »
Sounds like you are plucking the string and not letting the string slip from your fingers. Try holding at full draw then lowering your draw without releasing. Do this a few times then draw and release.
Do you hold at full draw for any length of time or release when you hit full draw?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:21 pm »
I hold at full draw for just a fraction of a second.  Since originally posting I've been working hard at being aware of my release, and I think you're right, I think I'm a plucker.  Been getting better this last week,  and not noticing the Nelson Muntz factor as much.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline gumboman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:23:57 am »
The most likely problem is lack of back tension. If back tension is employed, at release your drawing arm will snap back taking your fingers with it and they won't slap your face. Instead of focusing on your release, focus on back tension. A clean release will come automatically when there is proper back tension. During the draw cycle, your drawing arm should be relaxed while the string is drawn using only back muscles. If there is a hold before release, feel the load in your back not your arm. Give this a try. You will probably like the results.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:01:59 am by gumboman »

Offline Leaton

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 08:21:00 am »
Is there a video tutorial of what you're describing, Gumboman? I think I understand the gist of it, but I would like to see it.
Check out extremely effective fat burners available to everyone.

Offline gumboman

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 02:53:38 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCejcb6DAI&list=PLgbLzH5QIFaOB0tM39_vPXoXC5WboDlQJ

This is a good video that demonstrates the importance of alignment and back tension. Main points are your drawing arm must be relaxed while your back is pulling. There are many good videos on this site showing different Olympic archers. The shooters who show a delayed follow through are not pulling with back tension. Those with the proper follow through are using back tension. There is a lot to be learned on this web site.http://archerywinchester.com/

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:29:47 am »
That's a very interesting series of videos. I'm working my way through them :) Thanks for the link

Offline gumboman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 04:25:19 am »
Here is another video that demonstrates good back tension technique. Again, a relaxed drawing arm and pure back tension will improve consistency, accuracy and arrow flight is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjW6_60Vvp8

This one is excellent also. It really clarifies how to draw with back tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5U5tDS7Hs
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:59:31 am by gumboman »