Author Topic: Same spine but different weights?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline DuBois

Same spine but different weights?
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:58:51 pm »
If I have shafts of same spine but different weights can I adjust with diffent weight points? How will that affect shooting pattern when I shoot the set? I am not very experienced with making my own arrows but getting going lately and this is what I am encountering.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Same spine but different weights?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:30:11 pm »
How much difference in weight are you talking about.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »
30-40 gr except each set has one about 50 light. Working on mid 40's poundage sets.

Could go 100 gr some, 125 gr others, and light hunting points on lightest ones?

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »
You have to keep in mind that changing the tip weight will change the dynamic spine so you will be juggling a bit. I made a "matched" set once and to bring the weights in line I put short pieces of solder in each end of the arrow(bamboo). It seemed to work but I have no idea if it was right or not.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:41 pm »
I'd set them up all the same and see how they shoot. Pick the ones that shoot the best for your regular arrows and make fluflus or stumping arrows with the others. At short ranges you might not notice much difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:23:42 pm »
I found the weight doesnt matter that much at all. unless you are talking crazy difference . Esp. if you only are shooting at game 15 yrds or so.Shooting a heavier tip will make the spine of the arrow drop. I feel it is more important to keep same spine and dont worry about weight so much.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:30:26 am »
It takes quite a bit of difference in weight at short distance to show up.as said shoot them set up the same way.as said a couple flu flu with the heaviest is always fun to have. 

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:33:16 am »
I agree with the last two responses. English arrowsmiths in the past used weight to judge shafts because they didn't have spine testers. You have one and pay much more attention to it than weight. Pay attention to weight for Kinetic energy and hunting penetration.

A much heaver arrow will load more making it change dynamically, but I highly doubt 30 - 40 grains over the entire length will matter. Changing your point weight will highly make a difference, far more than shaft weight. lowering the point weight to match the other shaft will likely make the two shafts not shoot the same. If you go by spine, stay with it.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:07:42 am »
Adding weight to the point end of an arrow is effectively reducing spine weight. For every 25 grains of tip weight you add over the standard 125gr will reduce the effective indicated spine weight by 5# and the opposite for the reverse.
 I think that when your target is 30 yards or less away spine is critical because the arrow has to straighten out in a relatively short distance. With the English war bows, they were shooting a few hundred yards so the arrow had plenty of time to straighten out before it hit it's target so spineing arrows wasn't critical. I also think if the war bow guys wanted to check the deflection differences of their arrows so they could spine test each arrow they had the technology to do so. It just wasn't necessary.