Author Topic: Need Help on Tiller Please, from the OCD Hinge Hater  (Read 5845 times)

330bull

Need Help on Tiller Please, from the OCD Hinge Hater
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:50:26 am »
Hello,

Well I wish my original post was an April Fool's joke but it's not.  I re tillered this bow and managed to save it.  It pulls ~45# @ 26", so I think I may just finish it out and give it to a kid, or stretch it out to 28" and give it to my buddy.  It originall pulled 55# @ 26, with 1" of reflex on both ends, and...was smokin' hot!   8)  Now it has ~1" of string follow, but almost zero handshock.

Please take a look at the tiller and let me know what all of you think.

Thanks in advance, and as always I appreciate your feedback.

Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need Help on Tiller Please, from the OCD Hinge Hater
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:06:12 am »
Joe, It looks good to me.   When I'm tillering a bow with lots of irregularities I squint my eyes to look at it. This blurs the details out and just shows me the silhouette. Those details will get you in trouble sometimes. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:08:25 am »
Joe, Didn't you torch the last one that looked like that? Better try again, but this time, just send it to me and save the carbon credits.   ;D The oval tells the tell.  It looks pretty good, maybe just a bit stiff on the bottom, uh  em..  right.. limb towards the very tip.  But then again, I'm one of the new guys.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:29:50 am »
I don't know about you Joe, That looks beautiful and 45# is plenty for deer.  You have blacktails in Or. right?
Traverse City, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:31 pm »
If you are looking for perfect then the bottom limb could come around a little more near the tip. But it is fine just the way it is. There is nothing wrong with a 45# bow - your arm, shoulder, and accuracy will appreciate the lighter weight after a long day of shooting.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:16:24 pm »
Well like Otoe said...the Bottom Limb could be tweaked a bit...if you want perfection....Mr. O.C.D......but please leave it be....and enjoy it...or give it to someone that will!! As for the Picture....glad you picked up on that little Trick...it has worked for me for Years......you cant hide the Details for it....as long as you hold the Bow square in the Picture.....I like it....go shoot!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

CutNShoot

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »
Okay I'm with everyone else the bow is good enough. The one question I have is how do you get the dotted lines on the pic.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
Microsoft Paint works...and there are a bunch of others too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
Joe thats just awful better send it to me you wouldn't want anyone to see ya with hat would you ;)

Looks good from where I'm sitting.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

330bull

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:13:52 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.  I truly appreciate it and I can assure you I will always ask for tillering advice from this point forward.  I hate tillering trees because i don't like to hold the bow @ full draw for more than 2 seconds.  So...I'll continue to use MS WORD and a camera!

Joe

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:44:36 pm »
I don't either, John. I use a rope and pulley. See Bow Making Directions on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »
I don't either, John. I use a rope and pulley. See Bow Making Directions on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Jawge...how do you hold it at draw and go mark the spots that need attention???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:49 pm »
I'm with George on this one - make yourself a tree. It's much better (and safer) than a tillering stick and a great tool for breaking in a bow.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:49:19 pm »
how do you hold it at draw and go mark the spots that need attention???

Hold the rope with one hand and mark with the other. Or you can attach a cleat to the tree to hold the rope for you.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:48 pm »
how do you hold it at draw and go mark the spots that need attention???

Hold the rope with one hand and mark with the other. Or you can attach a cleat to the tree to hold the rope for you.

So you have to hold the Rope and walk back up to the Bow to mark it?? Well I guess I am going to have to put a Tiedown in the Floor ...so I can hook it off and then walk up and mark it....or I could give my Walkie Talkie to my Wife and let He mark it....... ::)
Still be a safe distance from it myself!!!!! Don't tell Her I said that....She'd Scalp Me!!! >:D
2024...We Will Overcome