Author Topic: Need Help on Tiller Please, from the OCD Hinge Hater  (Read 5846 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Need Help on Tiller Please, from the OCD Hinge Hater
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 10:05:09 pm »
Actually I think most of ya take this way too seriously, 2 seconds  at full draw well holy wuh eh, if 2 seconds ruins a bow then in my very simple minded opinion you out to get a fiberglass bow or a compound :o I've only been at this about 15 months but I have to say you can get away with alot more than the experts tell ya. Same with the arra's its amazing how crooked they can be and still shoot straight. I admire the experts like most of ya but Joe you need to get a reality check here, search as you may there is no such thing as a perfect tiller, bow or bowyer. Too many folks are obsessed with the search for a perfect bow. If your a hunter do you really think the critters care what the tiller looks like or the 14 coats of finish sanded to 800 grit,  all i'm saying is lighten up have some fun, looks to me like ya built a great bow now go enjoy it eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »
No need to walk back if you use a short rope - just grab it near the pulley. Only need to hold it for a few seconds.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 10:35:12 pm »
Well said Dana. A couple of months ago I visited a buddy up north who got into building bows last year. While we were talking he mentioned casually that he’d been working on a new bow. Well of course I wanted to see it! But he was reluctant saying that the tiller needed work and he was embarrassed to show someone like me who has won BOM blah, blah, blah.  Eventually Greg showed me the bow and, for the life of me, I could not find a darn thing wrong with it. I told him to put a finish on it and shoot it – the tiller was perfect enough!
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:40 pm »
Thanks Gordon, this adventure we chose to undertake is all about having fun. And once we stop taking ourselves so seriously the fun starts ;D
I really do admire a well crafted and finished bow. But any bow that flings an arrow and puts a smile on yer face is a success in my book. I enjoy a bow that is full dress
but I think some of us new guys get the wrong impression from some of the bows posted. It really is simple do the best you can with the materials you have and have fun ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

330bull

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:04 am »
That's good advice Dana.  Yeah I admit I'm probably way too critical most of the time when it comes to making bows.  Trust me though, there are very few straight pieces of VM out there, and in retrospect the initial tillering job was probably as good as that bumpy log was going to get. 

I do have a bow pulley that I use but I can never seem to see the real tiller until I take a picture and use the WORD Shape function.  I like that a lot better and I can stare at the tiller for a long time.

I already have another VM stave peeled and ready for chip making next week.  Like I said before, I'll post pics and ask for advice before I do anything insanely stupid again.

Joe

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:50 am »
Well said, Dana. And Joe-nothing wrong with a 45# bow, either. I remember reading that Ishi's favorite hunting bow drew about 40#.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:34 am »
Actually I think most of ya take this way too seriously, 2 seconds at full draw well holy wuh eh, if 2 seconds ruins a bow then in my very simple minded opinion you out to get a fiberglass bow or a compound :o I've only been at this about 15 months but I have to say you can get away with alot more than the experts tell ya. Same with the arra's its amazing how crooked they can be and still shoot straight. I admire the experts like most of ya but Joe you need to get a reality check here, search as you may there is no such thing as a perfect tiller, bow or bowyer. Too many folks are  obsessed with the search for a perfect bow. If your a hunter do you really think the critters care what the tiller looks like or the 14 coats of finish sanded to 800 grit,  all i'm saying is lighten up have some fun, looks to me like ya built a great bow now go enjoy it eh.

I could not have worded it Better....Good Job Dana.

Joe your Fairy God Mother needs to Hit You In the Head with Her Wand....and say...."Joe Klink....Go Out And Play!!".....

Beauty Way Ta Go Man!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:10 am »
Yankeetejas, I just watch, note where wood removal is needed, let down, mark it, unstring, and remove the wood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:03 pm »
Well said Dana ;D
George- I do the same thing. I just look at the spot that needs attention and mark it after letting it down. Sometimes I hold it at full draw for a bit to make sure I see it right.  It might be slightly bad for the bow but unless you are in a flight shooting tournament or something who cares ;D 
Oh very nice bow by the way. Looks great.    Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark