Author Topic: How many acres?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline sleek

How many acres?
« on: September 02, 2018, 05:50:07 pm »
If you were to bow hunt  on private land, how many acres at minimum would you require to hunt? Im thinking mostly about tracking after the shot, and being able to stay on the hunting plot.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: How many acres?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:05 pm »
Sleek I think that depends on so many variables. Neighbors and what the property and surrounding property is like. I could show you thousands of acres that would probably be a waste of time to hunt like we do on. I could show you three or five acre plots that will produce year after year. Lots of them with open fields surrounding them that you could watch a well hit animal go down. Most neighbors aren't going to refuse permission to retrieve a animal from their property that you can see. It is nice to have more than one hunting spot though. I wouldn't turn down a good close small one though to add to the list.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:47:17 am »
Even a well hit deer will get off a few acres in a hurry and probably will, so for me it would all depend on, as BJ said, the folks that own the land around it. If they have no problem then any size will work. Nothing worse having a deer you know is down and can't go get it, and believe it or not their are a lot of folks around that won't let you.  >:(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:42:49 am »
Talk to the neighbors beforehand.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 06:59:44 am »
We have 75 acres and fairly often our deer will cross property lines before going down. We have a good relationship with our neighbors.   We call them before we go on their property and call them when we are off.  We also never leave a gut pile.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:21 am »
Advice given is all true.Preliminary preperation with the area and neighbors is a must.This is the time of year to get that done.I hunt on only around 30 acres mostly that are woods but connected to larger tracts.Balance of land is in row crop.On that 30 acres I have quite a few stands.Stands are only seperated by 1/4 to 3/8 of a mile at the most.A deers' movement range is a bit larger than that.Does will generally stay in a paticular area and are essential in a successful deer season.Many of the bucks during the rut will be ones not seen before.I don't use cameras myself but can see their advantages.During the rut is the most exciting time to be out there.
From 0 to hero as Pappy says.
Hunting larger tracts of land has it's advantages though.I can always tell by the deer movement.A person can spook deer out of an area visiting a stand too many times in a row.A person may think they got into the stand without detection but sometimes it is'nt so.This all can depend on how hard a person hunts.Every day or just on weekends.
It is totally legal by law in Iowa to retrieve a wounded deer from another persons' property with a proper blood trail without weapons but it's best to have a good relationship with the neighbors.That goes both ways too if they have a deer go onto your land your hunting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:34:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:34:39 am »
In Tennessee it is considered trespassing to go on anyone property for any reason without permission, That is tough sometimes but also has it's good side. Bad when you need to go on theirs but keeps folks from wandering around on yours with out asking. :) I have a good relationship with most of my neighbors so don't have much of a problem. I didn't know any state was like your Ed, so I guess you just need to check the laws before you hunt.  ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:29:10 am »
Me neither Pappy.I found out talking to the local game warden.Proper notification to the land owner is necessary though always.It's best to get along with all of a persons' neighbors.Personally I do too.
Laws are funny.A person can be on your property without permission.Hurt himself.Sue you for damages then too yet.So liability insurance is a must.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:03:41 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed