Author Topic: Congratulate Arvin Weaver ( Selfbowman)  (Read 8177 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Congratulate Arvin Weaver ( Selfbowman)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 07:07:12 am »
way to go Arvin... I'm already looking forward to seeing arrows fly at MoJam next July... Looking forward to hearing what bow design changes you made and your 'new' thoughts about arrows.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 07:31:17 am »
Great Arvin! Could you unveal the secret of your big success and show us some pics of this fabulous bow? That would be really kind of you  8) cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 08:17:11 am »
Congratulations Arvin!  :OK
So, is the ambient humidity, or lack of it, a factor in the distance that an arrow will fly..?
Just thinking about how "thick" that air was down at the field at Mojam.  ;)

Offline ohma2

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 09:02:18 am »
Congrats, and yes please show any pics you might have.beware of that shadow right behind you its Steve  :BB

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 09:09:57 am »
Congrats and way to go Arvin.Were 450 grain arrows shot then like previously talked about at what draw length also?What type of string was used?
Glad you made it there too Chuck.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:25:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 11:00:46 am »
Congratulations Arvin!  :OK
So, is the ambient humidity, or lack of it, a factor in the distance that an arrow will fly..?
Just thinking about how "thick" that air was down at the field at Mojam.  ;)

I don't really think the elevation or air made any real difference. We both shot the same bows we did at mojam. My mojam distance was further than my Utah distance and Arvins got a little more out of his at Utah.

I may go back to Utah one more year just to keep Arvin on his toes.

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 12:00:50 pm »
The bow was 68" Osage straight pyramid.  49@29 2-3/8 wide at the fades. Large 10" handle with 2" deep arrow rest to accommodate flight arrows as well as broadhead arrows. Mass heavy. Can't remember but probably around 32 oz.. lots in the handle and at the inner limb. About 2-1/2 inch reflex mostly in the last 10" of limb. This bow took about 1/2-3/4" set. The arrow was bamboo. 28"back of point, antler knock 2"long straight fletch . Narrow end of bamboo received the broadhead. Balance point 1-1/2" forward of center. Broadhead was a Zwickey with the back cut down weight of broadhead I want to say around 76 gr.  Total arrow weight 450 gr. Linen string from Tandy leather. I will try to load a pic. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline avcase

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 12:37:35 pm »
It was great to have Arvin, Steve, and Chuck Loeffler shoot with us this year!  The 50# primitive self-bow Record has been heavily contested since Don Burge originally established the 50# primitive record of 176 yards, 1 foot, and 3 inches in 1987.

Arvin also established the 70# self bow Broadhead Flight record at 234-2-3 (yards-feet-inches).
Congratulations!

Alan

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 01:36:19 pm »
Steve I expect you to come back. I may need some more help from you. Arvin

Offline avcase

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
Mr. Arvin Weaver shooting. I believe this is the 50# Broadhead. This is one of the few pictures I was able to get. Most of the time, he would setup and shoot his arrows faster than I could click the photo button!

Offline avcase

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »
Here are a couple of photos of Arvin’s Record bow and arrows that he sent me to have uploaded. Enjoy!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 09:01:27 pm »
Thats great arvin! Congratulations! Glad i got to meet you before you were famous. Remember us little guys! ;D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 07:51:22 am »
Awesome job Arvin.  Thanks for sharing the pics and the specs of the bow. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 07:54:33 am »
Thanks for the nice pics avcase.
Arvin...Thanks too for the info about your bow and arrows.My take on it is that it must be efficient conveying energy to the arrow to get the distance or the whole combo set up factor anyway along with the shooter.Longer handled bows do have more mass of course but having a shorter working area mid limb hold up well to perform well with the least amount of mass on the outer limbs.
The amount of care during construction and tillering many of us do not realize I'm sure.Again congrats and nice to see an accompishment made.Does the bow have more to give yet or do you think you got the best out of it?
PS...so the arrows are just drawn to 28" then?or to the point of 50#'s at whatever draw?I'm pretty sure it's done a little different at the flats is'nt it then was done at MO Jam.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:29:41 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 08:27:12 am »
Ed I think there might be another 5-8 yds in it. The arrow came out pretty clean. But I know I have room for improvement in the arrow department. That would be with a near perfect release and some more luck. I am pretty sure the last 10-20 yds is as much luck as anything.  This bow came together on my best tiller day so far. Arvin