Author Topic: One arrow shoots consistently high  (Read 4626 times)

Offline DC

One arrow shoots consistently high
« on: September 03, 2018, 05:36:42 pm »
Last couple of days I've been messing with arrows. It's a couple of weeks until the range opens(closes for the summer) and I thought i would get a few straight shooters ready. I have one that shoots high. At 20yds it will be 1-2 feet higher than the rest. 50 shots or more. FOC is the same as the rest. Fletch are all the same side. Checked the straightness on my lathe and it's as good or better than the rest. Is it possible that it has a long slow wobble that ends up with it being almost always high at 20yds? I have no qualms about breaking it over my knee but I thought someone might have an idea. I did try one shot with the cock feather in and it flew better but I may have aimed low. I should try more of that.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: One arrow shoots consistently high
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:35:27 pm »
Sounds like the nock may be out of alignment.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:42:29 am »
It actually looks like one of my best nocks as far as centering and alignment. I'll try shooting it some more today.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
a foot high at 20 is quite a bit- I would refletch it.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:27:51 am »
I would rip the fletch off and shoot it. 1-2 feet high at 20 yards is close to a 1/2 mile off :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:32:20 am »
Make a fluflu out of it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »
I can make a set of perfectly matched arrows, one or two will always be disappointment.

I have tried to recut the nock taper to get them to fly right but nothing works.

I was shooting the other day and was shooting consistently high and left. I only shoot one arrow, retrieve it and shoot again. I was thinking I was having a really bad day then decided to change arrows, bingo! I was back to being spot on again.

If I can't tame an errant arrow, off it goes to my ever expanding dead arrow pile.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 03:15:16 pm »
You would think that after 10,000 years there would be a "this causes that" list for arrows. ;D But it just seems that if it don't work "chuck it or give it to the enemy" seems to be the only fix.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 04:38:10 pm »
Hi DC, I haven't been on the board for a long while but I
've been keeping up with things. There's a simple fix to your problem. I call it field tuning. Reason your arrows is hitting high is because you have a stiff side of the shaft oriented down on the shelf. Simple fix is to flex that side down (center of shaft) using hand pressure to slightly weaken it.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Hi Art. That makes sense but I have a question. I shoot off my knuckle so shouldn't I feel the arrow go by if it's stiff down? I'm assuming it's going high in your scenario because it's whacking off the shelf. I checked the spine and it is a touch higher one way.
Oh that would explain why it seems to shoot a little better cock in.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:18:51 pm »
Just like an arrow that flexes around a handles it also flexes over the hand or shelf ( to certain extent) from the initial thrust of the release of the string. Think of it in these terms, if an arrow is too stiff it flies wide. Same with an arrow that is to stiff on the shelf/hand side. It could be other issues like the nock or bent/weak nock end of the shaft. But if you flip the arrow over and it shoots low then look into weakening the shelf side.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:28:47 pm »
Hey Art. Good to see you here.  :OK  Hey to the old gang for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 05:30:35 am »
Good to see you here too Pat! Will be seeing the gang this weekend for a shoot. Will say hello for you.

DC, if you have a spine tester, check the deflection right in front of the fletching (hang your weight here) against one of your arrows that flies true.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 05:48:01 am »
Cut a new nock 90 degrees. Sounds like the stiff side isnt against the bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 09:44:52 am »
The spine is the same at all positions within a pound or two. I'll try checking the spine close to the fletch but this is a tapered Hemlock shaft and the others are Bamboo. If that makes any diff.