Author Topic: Seal before painting?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Seal before painting?
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:46:04 am »
About ready to put finishing touches on the hickory bow.  My thought is to not sand the back as there a couple of "character" bumps and scars I'd like to keep.  I do want to put a green coloring coat and some designs in black to give it hunting bow flair.  I have acrylic paint, and Truoil available.  Is a sealing coat necessary, or can I just have fun painting and lettering, and then seal.  I plan to do the belly with a charcoal rub.  i want a dull or muted finish.  I do plan to put the draw #, and length and sign the belly.  May not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's with me! :BB >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Seal before painting?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:01:38 am »
Usually, when using acrylic, I would say to put in a base colour and flat it back a little then apply top coat(s).  The base colour stops the wood grain showing through the finished colour and makes the top colour deeper - light colours use a white base, mid/dark tones use an orange or red base.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:03:29 am »
Jerry, I've never worked with that combination of paint and sealer. You might want to experiment with a scrap piece first. I personally like to seal first. Then scuff with steel wool. Then paint. It helps to keep the paint from bleeding into the wood. I can get finer lines with it sealed first. I also can sometimes wipe paint off if I screw something up and don't like it. Some paints I like to put a coat of spray on sealer first coat after paint. Sometimes if you use tru oil or even a brush on product it smears your paint. Once you have it sealed you can scuff it and put tru oil over the top.
Looking forward to seeing that girl
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:21:45 am »
I'd seal it first too. The moisture in the acrylic paint could raise the grain of the hickory. I use shellac but spray satin poly will too. You'll have to wait a day if you use the poly, maybe 30 minutes if you use shellac. If you put a full(not watered down) base coat you probably don't need a sealer first. Tru-Oil is compatible either way you go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:05 am »
Seal it for al lthe reasons patB said .plus if you need to make a paint correction you can repair it easier over the sealer than the bare wood.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:40 pm »
I do have a test strip without sealer, (no sealer on hand), but will get either shellac or satin poly to make a comparison test.  Have to check for some more scrap pieces, too.  Thanks for the help, any other ideas also welcome.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry