Author Topic: Rain and more rain  (Read 1948 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Rain and more rain
« on: September 04, 2018, 09:02:05 am »
I'm sure others in other parts of the country have experienced this recent excessive rainfall lately.We've gotten more rain in the last week than through the whole summer total.No real damage here yet but the news shows a lot of flooding in other parts of the country.
Around here we are used to that coming this time of year.We call it the fall rains hopefully in time to have the crops benefit from it before harvest.This amount is a little excessive though.
Also I feel concerned about the people in the west with all of the fires.Sure wish they could get some of this rain.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rain and more rain
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:44:38 am »
Ed, I understand your concern about too much rain. Normally we would get between 68" to 80". We used to have the highest rain fall in the continental US, next to the Olympic Peninsula. This year we have had over 94" already, this month over 17". Since we have lived here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains our highest amount was 115" but that was after 3 hurricane remnants pass over us dropping over 28" that September. We live in an area of the 7 headwaters rivers of the French Broad River, the 3rd oldest river in the world and has always been an area of heavy rainfall.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:47:51 am »
We've been getting just enough rain to keep the grass growing like its spring time.  I'm getting tired of mowing and raking.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
We've had rain almost everyday since March. We had over 2' the month of June and now the little Tropical storm that blew through dumped some more.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
We've been getting just enough rain to keep the grass growing like its spring time.  I'm getting tired of mowing and raking.

This! It’s rained more here this summer than any in recent memory, if I don’t mow every 3-4 days my yard looks like a hay meadow. I let it grow a full 7 days lady mowing and my mower struggled to stay cleared out while mowing very slow. Usually this time of year my grass has been dried up for a long while  and mowing comes every 2 weeks.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:08:43 pm »
We had a lot of rain in N/W Alabama all year but now that it is time to plant food plots it has turned off dry as a bone.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:09:13 pm »
Got some headed your way tonight, Eric.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 08:36:07 am »
We are at 39.6" for the year and that is our yearly normal here in Western Maryland. Now just 4 more months to go. It finally slowed a bit here, but chance all rain all week starting Friday again.

I have hardly fished all year because the creeks and rivers are brown and swollen all year. The aquifer is full and they blow up with every drop that falls from the sky.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 11:01:17 am »
Any thing over about 12" is a wet year for us.  Many Counties still have full fire bans in effect, and on the western slope there were several big fires recently.  The high country got some rain yesterday, and there is a bit of monsoon flow going on, hopefully some moisture will push in from from the storm in the southeast.  There was a report that a couple were lucky enough to avert a potential major fire when they found an abandoned campfire getting out of control, and were able to call for support while they tried to control it.  We need snow in the high country this winter.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 03:51:26 pm »
Yes, please send your rain out west!! we are dealing with a drought that is over a decade old.  Too bad your water couldn't be pumped out to us. . .

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 07:00:14 pm »
We've got a pipeline up here we might not be using ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:42:25 pm »
We have had a tremendous amount of rain here in Norther New Mexico this monsoon season.  I don't remember even getting half of this amount last year.  Sure is making the mountains look great after the dry summer we had.  The high desert areas are looking great, too.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »
I am at Bryan, TX 100 miles NW of Houston, TX. A lot of people around me have gotten a little rain in the last 4-5 days, but I am still dry as a buffalo chip. It is so dry we have put a bounty on lightning bugs.

WA

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 10:28:09 am »
Well it has slowed down here finally,but left us with close to 10" the last few days.It looks like we are 5" below normal yet for the year though here in southern Iowa while about normal rainfall in northern Iowa.Ponds look a lot better here that's for sure.
I think in a few days we'll get the effects of Gordon from the south later also.
One other benefit to all this rain is the emergence of quite a few puff ball mushrooms.Pretty tastey!!!

They say they will appear here now the next year too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed