Author Topic: Center shot  (Read 2228 times)

Offline DC

Center shot
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »
I'm working on a bow that has the right bend to make it almost center shot. I think I remember reading that you shouldn't make them actually center shot. They should be almost but not quite. Is that true or am I imagining something?

Offline Mark Smeltzer

Re: Center shot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:09:25 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with being center shot but I wouldn't force a selfbow to do that by cutting a shelf or something. If the wiggle that makes it a center shot is near the riser I personally would call it good, if it is something that throws the tips way out then I would correct it if I can.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
I don't think it's smart to cut in a shelf to center in a wood bow but if by chance the stave bends that way it a plus.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 01:37:51 am »
I think even modern Olympic recurves etc (spits on floor) are set up slightly off from centre. Probably just to balance the string deflection as it slips off the fingers to avoid it kicking too muck right.
E.G If you shoot conventionally but put the arrow on the right of the bow it will just kick right off.
Mind, you can always cut to centre and then pad it out with leather, but like the others have said, wood is stronger than air...
I very rarely cut away an arrow shelf, in fact I've only got it on one flight bow and that is only cut away a bit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 04:48:23 am »
Like others have said I never cut the to center but if I have one with the wiggle in the right place and it works out to be center all the better, sure make arrows easier to tune. I don't want the string laying off the side of the handle because the limbs are off a bit to one side but if the string is aligned and the handle has the wiggle Its all good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:25:46 am »
   True center shot is for wheelie bows and a release aid...Dell nailed it when he talked about the deflection of your fingers...If you are a right hand shooter, the arrow leaves your fingers deflecting left of center which will cause fish tail upon release...TRUE center shot is not good for trad or primitive finger shooters..Do the math...Close to center shot is another matter...Want to make sure we don't mislead any beginners here...
                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:36:33 am »
...but learning arrows, how to make them and how to tune them to a bow is equally as important. Using the correct spine arrow makes a big difference in arrow flight and accuracy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:19:30 am »
   True center shot is for wheelie bows and a release aid...Dell nailed it when he talked about the deflection of your fingers...If you are a right hand shooter, the arrow leaves your fingers deflecting left of center which will cause fish tail upon release...TRUE center shot is not good for trad or primitive finger shooters..Do the math...Close to center shot is another matter...Want to make sure we don't mislead any beginners here...
                                                                                                      Don

I think even modern Olympic recurves etc (spits on floor) are set up slightly off from centre. Probably just to balance the string deflection as it slips off the fingers to avoid it kicking too muck right.
E.G If you shoot conventionally but put the arrow on the right of the bow it will just kick right off.
Mind, you can always cut to centre and then pad it out with leather, but like the others have said, wood is stronger than air...
I very rarely cut away an arrow shelf, in fact I've only got it on one flight bow and that is only cut away a bit.
Del

This is what I was after. I thought I saw this somewhere. Thanks

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 11:21:56 am »
What is center shot? An arrow rest cut to the string or cut past the string line to where the arrow is truly center of the string? There is a difference.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 11:48:32 am »
When I say centre shot I mean the center of the string is on the center of the arrow. I've never got even close to that. This bow is looking like it's about 1/4" from CS.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 11:59:35 am »
Ok DC I am often told my bows are center shot. I don't think so. My arrow rest is cut to the string. Half the diameter of the arrow keeps it from being center shot. Is that right? Back to your ? I would cut as much of the handle as I wanted to as long as it did not affect the integrity of the bow. Not worrying about my thoughts. Just saying . Arvin

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 12:35:05 pm »
I would think that according to Del and Don you are about right. Just a little shy of centershot. As far as your bows being CS, you're probably a lot closer than most selfbows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »
I agree D.C.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 03:07:55 pm »
This is a randman trade bow that tracks perfectly through the arrow pass,side nocks on the same side,ocean spray,and is the most accurate bow I own with any spine arrow s
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.