Author Topic: Nock feather to shelf?  (Read 3407 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

Nock feather to shelf?
« on: September 06, 2018, 12:45:53 pm »
I remember someone on here talking about using a reversed nock to help arrow flight. I had a few arrows no matter what i did. I remember what this person said (name escapes me) and i tried it for the heck of it. My arrows flew great!!! Just wondering why this works? I tried it for a experiment on the arrows that flew great. They did not fly great when i tried it on them.  I marked the arrows with a perm. marker so i know to nock these the opposite way. Just glad i did not have to discard these arrows i have put so much work into.

Offline aaron

Re: Nock feather to shelf?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:12:00 pm »
I think it works because the shaft has different spine when flexed one way versus another. I do realize that the greatest spine difference is found when rotating a shaft 90 degrees, but I suspect that on some shafts, the 180 degree turn also changes spine.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:19:49 am »
as aaron stated, the stiffest spine faces the bow. the ones that flew great with the cock feather against the bow were not fetched correctly to match the spine arrangement. the fletching orientation is to give a visual aid in which way to put the arrow on the string only. the feathers never touch the bow if arrows match the bow correctly. you could always strip the fletching and refletch as you marked the shafts or just pay attention to which arrow you are shooting.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:54:20 am »
On doweled shafting there are 2 ways the to orient the shaft on the bow with the grain lines horizontal. These will usually be the stiffer of the 4 sides. One side will be stiffer than the other, usually. Also, if I remember correctly, Art Butner told me that if possible place the stiff side of the top and bottom on the shelf however it seems rare to me that you will be able to put the stiff sides both against the stripe plate and the shelf so always place the stiff side against the bow(strike plate) and if possible against the shelf too.
 The "stiff side" also relates to hardwood shoot shafts and cane. Generally that is the only spineing I do on hardwood shoots and cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:50 am »
I know I've asked this before but maybe this picture will help get it straight. In the pic I've leaned the shaft against something and rolled it back and forth until it's wobbled into it's happy place. Is the stiff side where my hand is or where the saw motor is?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:57:04 am »
I think where your hand is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:17 am »
OK that makes sense to me. I've always thought that the "outside" of the bend should be somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00 from the archers point of view. That way when the launch compresses the arrow the bend will pop into the open space rather than smack the bow or your knuckle/shelf.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:19 pm »
Just so i make it a bit more clear i should of explained these ones are shoot shafts not doweled shafts.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
With dowels you will know there are 2 stiff sides because of the grain, one stiffer than the other, usually. With shoots you have to check all sides and place the stiff side against the bow. Sometimes I'll put the arrow on the spine tester, slowly spin it and read the spine values until I find the stiff side.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 04:37:23 pm »
I have a spine tester and always fletch my arrow so the stiff side is against the shelf. I fletch my arrows so the cock feather is on the stiff side and shoot them feather in.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 04:42:55 pm »
I have a spine tester and always fletch my arrow so the stiff side is against the shelf. I fletch my arrows so the cock feather is on the stiff side and shoot them feather in.

Why would you decide to do it differently than everyone else? :D I mean cock fletch in.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »
If the arrow is tuned it shouldn't touch the bow once released so theoretically it shouldn't matter.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 07:18:51 am »
Can't give you a answer to your question other than all of you are doing it wrong. :) sorry couldn't resist.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 07:23:37 am »
OK Will Tell, time for the apple on your head!   >:D   ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
I think that after nearly 70 years on an off of shooting, I'll stay with the cock feather out, and keeps tuning my arrows that way!  Must be getting set in my ways, or something >:D!  We need a fletching emoji dude(or damsel)!  Interesting points, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry