Author Topic: Trade point  (Read 5152 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Trade point
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 08:21:49 am »
Sounds to me like you’re just not sharpening far enough even my mild steel trade points will take a paper cutting edge pretty easily

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:21 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been making some nice Trade points from older saw blades lately and they come out real nice! However, I can't get the darn things sharp.... Tried single and tried double bevel! Tried file, Stone, and Lansky system.... Nothing working for me.... Any advice?

When you sharpen, are you getting a burr along your edge?

Problems with mystery steel and heat treating is that without knowing the chemistry of the steel, the heat treat is a shot in the dark.  Have you tried a snap test?

Yes I am getting a bevel

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 10:22:49 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been making some nice Trade points from older saw blades lately and they come out real nice! However, I can't get the darn things sharp.... Tried single and tried double bevel! Tried file, Stone, and Lansky system.... Nothing working for me.... Any advice?

When you sharpen, are you getting a burr along your edge?

Problems with mystery steel and heat treating is that without knowing the chemistry of the steel, the heat treat is a shot in the dark.  Have you tried a snap test?

Yes I am getting a bevel

Ok, but are you getting a burr along the edge itself?  Not trying to sound snarky or anything.  I've sharpened a lot of steel, and every once in a while the burr just rolls over the edge.  Makes the blade feel like a dull butter knife.  Stropping to get the burr off will generally get it shaving sharp.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-