Author Topic: Plains Quiver / bow hunting kit "arrow covers added"  (Read 9699 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Plains Quiver / bow hunting kit "arrow covers added"
« on: September 09, 2018, 03:40:09 am »
       I've always liked the style of a Plains Quiver...Talking to Rich "half eye" he said how about I send you a few hides? Well it wasn't long before the hides arrived. I received a Coyote and an Otter hide plus a few more...So the decision was made to make a Plains Quiver / bow hunting kit...
        I used all natural materials and started out sewing 5 small holes in the Coyote with sinew...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:18:53 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Plains Quiver / bowhunting kit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:40:59 am »
sewing...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:43:53 am »
  The Coyote was cut in sections and sewed inside out in a tubular form for the bow case...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:45:28 am »
pics

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 03:50:11 am »
  The Otter was a beautiful pelt...I turned the cased hide out and sewed the mouth with leather lacing...The head/face was folded over and tied down with wet rawhide lacing...This is the arrow quiver...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 03:50:56 am »
more...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 03:55:54 am »
  A second Otter was split down the middle through the tail for the straps...The Otter quiver was attached using rawhide straps...There is also a stick that runs along the spine to keep the quiver rigid and straight...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:59:43 am »
 Finally the Coyote bow quiver was attached to the straps using rawhide lacing to complete the Plains Quiver...I hope to carry this hunting kit very soon, maybe October...Hope you folks like it,
                                                                                                         Don

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 04:08:17 am »
Wow! I love that set. Very well done.

Offline AndrewS

Re: Plains Quiver / bow hunting kit
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 04:37:48 am »
A nice set. I like it. :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 04:59:28 am »
I love it. Excellent kit
It deserves for sure great rewards in the woods  (SH)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 05:09:26 am »
Beautiful set, Don. I love the pic with the bow out and the coyote hanging around the otter.
Thanks for the buildalong pics, I sure have to build one like this - just have trouble to get the fur. Maybe I go with caribou (available here, but expensive and of course no way of origin).
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 05:48:54 am »
Great work Don.  That is an awesome set.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:59:22 am »
Very nice Don. I love seeing how other people use hides. You did well. Thanks for showing your process.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:46 am »
Love it all Don using natural materials and the useful beautiful design also.Good pelts from half eye and a nice looking set.All except using dry sinew while sewing unless I'm seeing it wrong.
Using wet sinew while sewing then left to shrink tight when dry works the best.No need to tie knots then either.Just whip stitched a couple more times at the end is all that's needed to hold fast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:27:24 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed