Author Topic: Bow drying box  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Bow drying box
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:02 am »
Does anyone dry there staves using a heat box? Can someone give me some plans to make one?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bow drying box
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:59:36 am »
I made a 6' long horizontal rectangle out of 1x12's and insulated it.  I cut an 8" circle in each end and use a small space heater to keep warm air flowing through it.   I have this hanging on the wall of my shop on shelf brackets.  I use it to dry out bow blanks. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:45:13 am »
I use a Toyota, Tacoma model, 2004 for my stave drying. It's convenient because it's not only a stave drying box, it can also be used to transport you to work or other place you may need to go.
Eric

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:09 am »
 High Desert,
It also has neat racks to lay the bows on, and a good ventilation system with variable temperature control? >:D (lol). Probably also handy for beer runs, etc!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:56 pm »
I use mine some. I do most of my bow work in the winter and my wood stove is my stave drier. I made it from Bingham's Projects(a sponsor) pattern but you can make one with  1/2" or 3/4" foam board and duct tape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:35:29 am »
I build mine out of 1/4" plywood screwed to a frame. I could only get 90 degrees in the winter out in the unheated garage until I insulated it with cheap foam board, it will get really hot now, I have never maxed it out so I don't know  how hot. I use three lights on a dimmer switch and have vents in the top and bottom for natural convection for air flow. I built a shelf about the center of the box to disperse the heat and keep the wood away from the lights.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:39 am »
How long does it take you to dry out a stave? Can you dry one in a matter of weeks?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 07:42:12 am »
All depends on the type of wood. Some whitewoods, yes but generally longer drying/seasoning time is better for more stable bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC