Author Topic: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"  (Read 23345 times)

Offline Oglala Bowyer

Re: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itahcala Ehake"
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 04:19:59 pm »
True beauty in the works my friend. I have few friends, but I’m blessed by those I call friends. I can’t wait to see more of the pics

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »
This is going to be a good ride!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:24 pm »
Nice,,,,,,I miss you brother. Jeffw

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 06:50:50 pm »
I'm tuned in, and wishing you all the best with your project and many more hunting seasons to come.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 06:45:34 pm »
Looking forward to seeing more. That looks like an interesting project.  I'm sure the outcome will be amazing. I appreciate you sharing with us.
  That looks like a Carolina Rattler to me.  I think I have his brother.
  Steve

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 07:28:45 pm »
Rich is that the snake skin I sent you? Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Offline half eye

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 06:54:33 am »
Thank you all for the very nice comments.

NC....you nailed it about the skin, it is in fact a big ole fat Carolina cane break .

Trapper....Rob that rattler you sent me, went into making a couple of very fine holsters for a couple of 1887 & 1891 top-breaks ...check the pics out and hope you approve.

Thanks again fellas I'm spreading glue today should have pics tonight.
rich

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:33:29 am »
I'm sorry but you're completely off with your Oglala
Translation is "Old man with bruised knee bow "   (lol) (lol) (lol)
I'm following you Bruised Knee! keep scraping sticks  :OK

Offline half eye

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 09:05:30 am »
Well now Mr. Gliss, my title (including spelling) came directly from an actual living Oglala. The problem with "translators" they are not able to speak ANY of the Native American tongues, after all the best minds available from Germany and Japan couldn't do anything with Native code talkers. So I am going to stick with my Oglala friend, you can stick with your computer.
rich

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 10:16:19 am »
No no please dont blame me. You got my complete and sincere apologies. It was a joke!
I love your bendy bows and sincerely hope to keep seing you make bow and share your knowledge
the oglala joke was referred at your habit to tiller bow on your knee

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 10:58:16 am »
Rich those holsters are beautiful.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:34 am »
I'm really liking the shape of the bow you got there.  And I love that you tiller over your knee.  Reading post like this makes me realize how much I have yet to learn! 

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 01:33:30 pm »
Got the sinew on today and ready for it's 10 day dry period. Only seven pics so here is how I do this part.
1. I lightly scuff the back of the bow (dry) and then rub the bow's back down with a wet finger. I check this in the "glare line" of the overhead light. I'm looking to see that the surface of the back has accepted a complete even water stain ( if the water sticks then so will the hide glue.
2. I use my finger to apply a good coat of hide glue and cover the back with a fairly heavy coat....let that jell up till it wont stick to your fingers.
3. I use backstrap sinew on my bows. The ones you see on the towel in front of the box Are the ones that I soaked until good and soft, and then wiped off any excess water. I then take a piece of sinew and completely submerge it in the hide glue and as you remove it I use my thumb and finger to wipe off the excess.
4. I lay these back straps starting at the middle of the bow and going toward the tips. Usually there will be six pieces used. Three in the first layer then 2 then one. Once the first layer is on it gets another "good coat" of glue over it, then repeat for subsequent layers.
5. I put the bow up for about an hour or so untill the sinew has jelled up (jelled to the touch)
6. Next step is to wrap the bow with "bandages" made from torn bed sheets. Start in the middle and wrap like a barber pole out toward the tip and pull it tight, then come back down the same limd wrapping in the opposite direction. I let this sit wrapped up for 5-6 hours
7. I now very carefully un-wrap the bandages to see if everything is laying down well and everything looks well bonded to shape. If you are not satisfied at this point, remove the still wet sinew, wash it, and start over.
The last pic is after the bandages come off....the small white threads are NOT stuck to the bow. I just leave them untill the sinew is starting to dry well and then carefully unwind the "ravels.
That it set aside for 10 days in a dry room.

Heres the pics...any? please ask.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 01:34:36 pm »
rest of the pics

Offline half eye

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 01:40:38 pm »
Gliss, my apologies to you sir...hate computers ....I miss-understood your intent so I apologize to you sir.

Trapper, I am very glad you approve of the use, the old girls sure do like their new homes.

Bayou, nothin special going on here, just the way I do things, hope it inspires some more folks to go natural too.
rich