Author Topic: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"  (Read 22788 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:08 am »
next

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2018, 03:27:51 pm »
Mighty fine, half eye. Thanks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
Coming along great!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »
George, Howard...thank you sirs

Took the bandages off and trimmed the excess off the edges. Everything looks pretty good with good grab and adhesion as well as a tight fit across the limbs. I did some preliminary edge cleaning but did not want to screw anything up so it will set for a couple days and then I can cut in the string knocks. This bow is a beast...because I added too muck sinew so I think there is a chance that it will need a tiller tweek. Anyway that has to wait a couple more days.
    I took some more pics after the bandage came off. The skins on these Carolina Canebreaks are really beautiful and I could not seem to get any good outdoor light but you can get the idea. Will shoot a picture tomorrow and just add it without comment to try and give a true idea of the color. 
            Don, cant possibly thank you enough my friend

Here are the pics.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »
     Wow Rich, I was waiting on the second half of your skin post..You done a fine job sir...That was a big snake, have to say Canebreak is my favorite on a bow back and that you are more than welcome buddy...How many pounds do you think the sinew added? Keep it coming man!
                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2018, 06:47:21 am »
So much knowledge being shared unselfishly here. Thank you very much!  Just amazing skills You have Rich.

Offline half eye

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2018, 08:10:13 am »
Thank you Don
Thanks hoosierf

Here are pics of the skin in the day light.

Offline half eye

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 10:15:31 am »
Went ahead and checked the tiller and it was very close so a little sand paper brought it around to what I wanted. The bends are even and smooth so it's all good on that point. I am posting 3 different tiller shots so you can get an idea of where it is. The next thing here will be to make a string and get her to final full draw status, although I dont believe the tiller will change from what you see here.
    Next I put the alligator handle wrap on. First 3 pics are the "doing" and the last 3 are the "done". Basically, this was treated just like any other raw hide, soaked the gator back to soft and a thin piece of whitetail rawhide strap and sewed it on. I dried the hide and strap down to "damp" so water would be run all over the sinew job. Now she gets her belly smoothed down, the side knocks single pin  smoothed up then apply the bow "finish" with several coats heated and rubbed in.
    I need to get with Joe and see about the final string for this bow....I'm not sure that my whitetail rawhide stings are up to this much weight so a second opinion is really needed here.

Once the bow is mostly done I'll try pulling it by standing on the string but use a luggage scale to see about the weight.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2018, 10:16:28 am »
next 3

Offline half eye

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
last 3

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:26 pm »
  Rich,
           The bend looks spot on from here...That Gator handle looks beautiful and it will dry up nice and tight...It looks deadly against the Canebreak...I didn't miss the turtle claws in the background either...Enjoying this build
                                                                                                                                                                 Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:29 pm »
This makes me smile. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2018, 05:19:14 pm »
Looking spot on Rich. I’m enjoying this build along immensely. That thing looks like a real doozy taboot. I think the rawhide string should hold up. I’ve used them in the past with no real issues

Offline half eye

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2018, 05:33:22 pm »
Thanks Don much appreciated....ya aint supposed to see them war-heads
Thanks George
Joe, I,m sort of nervous of a two ply whitetail rawhide string. I'm not sure what the full draw weight will be but I'm thinking somewhere north of 70#.  It seems to be real smooth though. Maybe I can call you this evening sir?
rich

Offline Morgan

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »
Drooling a bit over that bow