Author Topic: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"  (Read 23418 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Simple hunting set "Wicahcala Kin Itazipa Ehake"
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2018, 02:55:13 pm »
Sorry I forgot the ?.....The raw string was widely used across the NA Range. Some were twisted, some not, and some made from sinew, or reptile hide or groundhog hide,  Some made from split cane.....I have to assume that every region had it's preferred string material and method.
    Some of the Eastern bows had single strand strings some twisted some plain. Any bow that is near to 50# I make a 2 ply 3/8 twisted string. Probably overkill but that size made me all warm and fuzzy. Speaking of strings another really good material is some animal gut (intestines) I have heard that racoon gut was quite common  in the Eastern and Mid Western areas.
    Also keep in mind that twisting (that is not overdone) and then drying  makes a dense and strong cord. Meaning the diameter when finished is a lot smaller than when it was stretched out wet.
rich

Offline Morgan

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:45 pm »
Rich, I had wondered if intestine was strong enough for string, also if it could be split and used for a rawhide back.

Offline half eye

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »
Morgan, I have made 2 "gut" strings....they make a damned tough string sir. The work comes in cleaning them inside and out and being able to get a good split for their entire length. I can make you a drawing of the "splitting rig" if you like. My other personal faveorite is snapping turtle neck skin. I have not had a craving for turtle lately and dont want to kill one for a string....can make you a drawing of how to do that if you would like.
rich
PS: ya know that once you go to the dark-side and harvest that first deer with all natural you are going to get odd looks and questions.....and the absolute greatest feeling of satisfaction.
Forgot to add that regarding strength...in the day cat gut strings is all the professional tennis players used for string (might still be that way) their rackets and I know some were tensioned around 100 pounds. You can still buy gut string if ya dont want to make your own.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:55:34 pm by half eye »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:47 pm »
Rich, I’d love to see your splitting rig. I have something similar to a tail splitter envisioned. I hear you on not harvesting without need, I’m the same way.
Thank you

Offline half eye

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »
Got the bow repaired and a new string installed. Took pics. Also got pics of the rawhide string after it was treated. The rawhide wrap on the limb tips seems to be dry but I will string it up tomorrow. A little extra time wont hurt a thing.

Also made up the sketch's for the gut splitter, and how I cut a turtle neck skin for strings. This actually works well for any cased hide like ground hog, etc. basically it works well for anything you can peel the hide off of whole.

be a few pic posts hope you like.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »
more pics

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2018, 02:13:18 pm »
 Rich,
         Nice repair...That makes it even stronger than it was before the split...Did you wrap both ends?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2018, 02:17:26 pm »
yes Don I sure did, upper and lower.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
my apology's fellas I just noticed I put the wrong string pic on this post. The one above is the single ply cordage I used on the quiver and it has not been treated. Here is the pic of the 2 ply bow string and this HAS been treated. sorry

Offline TimBo

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2018, 04:17:51 pm »
Looking good!  I was going back through to try to find what type of knot you use for the top limb - I think you said timber hitch/bowyer's know for the lower.  Glad the repair worked out!

Offline half eye

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
TimBo....there is no "normal" way to string NA bows. This bow has a sliding loop top and a form of timber hitch (w/two initial wraps) on the lower. This was a common way to do it in the areas where the NA people were horse culture. A tied off lower limb and a sliding loop is necessary because the Sioux (among other plains tribes) strung their bows while mounted. Just think about that for a minuet, I cant even imagine stringing a 60/70/80 pound bow while setting in a saddle....hell, I cant hardly do it standing up on the ground. :o
rich

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2018, 08:18:26 am »
Wow Rich, great save on that limb.  Like you I've never had Osage split down the nock on me but you sure pulled it off with that awesome fix.  Come to think of it I did see a plains style bow with a rawhide sheath on the horn of the bow near the nock.  Perhaps it was a similar fix as well.  Looking good my friend.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2018, 08:33:42 am »
Rich, the snake skin came out great.  You mentioned split cane strings. Can you tell me a little about that process? 

And that's crazy to think they braced these bows on horseback....and I didn't know they made bows 80#'s  (A)

Offline half eye

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2018, 10:46:38 am »
OK guys, here is some money shots....sort of. Ya know I cant draw this bow so had to settle for the "stand on the string" method which has a couple of problems. Cant get my wife to "square up to the bow so, sorry for that... the other problem is that the sole of my shoe is a lot wider than 3 fingers on the string as well as getting a full two handed grip. Also the bow is only drawn to about 21/22" so this not a "real" full draw....ya gonna have to wait for Oglala Bowyer to show you how it is done after he gets it. The numbers on the pics do show however that the bow was strung "braced", then drawn, then a resting unbraced. Anyway here are the pics (2 posts) then I'll try to answer the questions....hey I'm old and dont multi-task real good so bare with me.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2018, 10:47:49 am »
next pics