Author Topic: Is this a good glue for laminate bows?  (Read 5653 times)

Offline tacticalboxing

Is this a good glue for laminate bows?
« on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:08 pm »
Hello all, I am  new to  bow making and am currently about mid way through making my first laminate bow.
I am almost at the gluing stage and need some advice from this awesome web site and its awesome members.
My dad is a great wood worker in  general and he is helping me with my  bow even though he hasn't made a bow personally but is still very knowledgeable about wood in general.
He gave me some 3M scotch weld 2216 epoxy adhesive and ask me if it would work as a bow laminate. I told him I wasn't sure so I am asking you all here what you think.
To be a total warrior, master hands as well as weapons,
and body as well as spirit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this a good glue for laminate bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:54 pm »
I don't know about the epoxy you mentioned but TBII, TBIII or Weldwood Plastic Resin all work well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tacticalboxing

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 09:13:19 pm »
I am really broke so am hoping this will work lol.
I tried to research it a bit and found that there are 4 types of epoxies:
Polyamide
Polyamine
Phenolic
Novolac
but i couldn't find out what type scotch weld was or even which of these 4 types are good for laminate bows.
Any clues?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »
The titebond glues are quite cheap. Some epoxies cure brittle and I’d be nervous gluing lams without knowing for sure if the epoxy will hold up.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:53 am »
A quick search for it finds 3M's website which gives some info which suggests it would be suitable certainly for a medium power bow.
"Get an adhesive that remains strong in extreme shock, vibration and flexing"
It does say it has flexibility and is good at low temperature. Of course you don't want too much flexibility, but you don't want it brittle either.
(I think this link should be allowable as it's not bow related ... if not, admin please delete )
https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Epoxy-Adhesive-2216/?N=5002385+8709313+8710676+8710815+8711017+8711736+8713398+8736167+3293241721&rt=rud
Maybe contact 3M and ask them?
Personally If I had it, I'd try it, maybe on a test piece like a couple of thin slats
Del
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:45:32 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:41 am »
I'm sure that would work fine. It has all of the characteristcs of West G Flex which is also an excellent epoxy.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:13 am »
I would say it would probably work. I feel like you should do a test piece regardless. Make sure the two pieces are really thin and see how well it bends. If it delaminates then probably not. If the pieces just break not on the glue line you should be good
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 09:54:46 am »
   When I first started building bows over 20 years ago I had no idea what glues to use. I was using gorilla glue and white wood workers glue and sometimes west systems epoxy. It seemed all of it worked. I have since settled on Tightbond and smoothon epoxy. I think the epoxy you have will be fine. If not you simply make another bow and change glues. Nobody makes just one bow!

Offline tacticalboxing

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »
Wow, thank all of you for your excellent input.
I'll try a test piece before using it on my wanna be masterpiece lol.
This site is so awesome. :)