Author Topic: Tiller check? :)  (Read 3300 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Tiller check? :)
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:34 pm »
Should I get the mid to outers working a bit more? Particularly the bottom limb?

All opinions welcome.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Icegomen

Re: Tiller check? :)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:48:11 pm »
I am very pleased to be a member here. In order for me to access the data fully.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:15:48 pm »
I would work on the outers. Those aren't really recurves they are reflexed limbs. They should straighten out.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:37:09 pm »
  I think your tiller is just about perfect for that unbraced profile. If you allow them to straighten out they will take some set and raise your string angles. I bet it shoots very fast where you have it now.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:39:59 am »
 I think your string angle looks awsome I agree bet its fast , these R/D bows can be deceptive especialy with short bows  if you change that angle you lose all your performance maybe Ben will chime in he has a keen eye for tiller on these ,looks great to me if it where mine !
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:44:50 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:14:01 am »
Fulldraw looks pretty good to me, the real challenge with this shape is narrowing the outers without losing stability. If you do it right you will have a real smooth and very fast bow!
And what Badger said is true. You can clearly see the transition from the deflex to the reflex from the top limb in the fulldraw pic. This is a tricky spot with these bows and you can easily kill all the performance by overstressing that part.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:43:53 am »
Thanks guys. I've found these bows to be particularly tricky to tiller for all the reasons you've pointed out. I REALLY appreciate your input, as it takes a lot of work to get to this point and it will be great if it ends up worth the effort.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:44:12 am »
  I think your tiller is just about perfect for that unbraced profile. If you allow them to straighten out they will take some set and raise your string angles. I bet it shoots very fast where you have it now.

I agree with Steve.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 07:34:26 am »
Looks wicked fast to me Jeff. I'm pretty sure your going to get that design figured out. Then you can help me out.
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:49:24 am »
Excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:30 am »
Yep, I agree with everything Badger said.  How's bracing it?  I don't see how that bow won't be a good performer.  Great work to get it to this point.  It's holding reflex really well.
Can't wait to see her finished up!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 09:38:43 am »
Looks good from here

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:57:38 am »
I defer to everyone else ;D ;D ;D How much more do you have to draw it?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 10:36:31 am »
OK, I don't know anything (how's that for a disclaimer), but is the bottom limb straightening out jussstt a bit more than the top one? 

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 10:46:47 am »
Does anyone have any photo editing software and skills? I would like to see the three pictures overlaid on each other.