Author Topic: Douglas Maple vs Vine Maple  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Douglas Maple vs Vine Maple
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:48 am »
Just curious of your opinion on these two woods. I live on Vancouver Island and we have lots of Doug maple but no Vine. I am wanting to make use of the abundance of this wood, and I want to know your thoughts are on it. And if you have any tips on characteristics of Doug I should know about. Thanks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline aaron

Re: Douglas Maple vs Vine Maple
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:23:01 am »
I have worked plenty of Vine, but not doug. The following suggestions are for Vine and will prob work with Doug.
Cut only vertical or nearly vertical staves- Leaning trees tend to warp on drying.
Avoid cutting in Spring/ Summer for less checking.
When tillering, don't leave thick spots at the lumps, make the belly follow the back.
Avoid creating thin spots where the lumps transition back into straighter sections.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way/time to debark.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 01:01:47 pm »
I used to live on Vancouver island as well! Trust me buddy you have more vinemaple than Douglas maple.
Doug maple likes higher elevation away from the salty air, it reminds me of really good Rock maple when worked.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »
Where did you live on the Island? The only Vine maple I've seen is escaped cultivars and very few of them. Maybe Victoria area, I haven't looked in the south end. Blayne and I are mid island and the best stands I've seen are near the beach.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:50:19 pm »
Victoria, my dad was the port engineer. I was a teenager then, but he made sure I knew my tree species lol
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »
I’ve seen some scattered vine maple South Island and some gulf islands, but Nanaimo and North is all Doug.
I’ve only made a few VM bows and zero DM bows. I wonder if DM has those pesky grain swirls I hate
so much in VM?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:01:11 pm »
I've never worked Vine Maple but Doug sometimes has those swirls. Some of it works beautifully. I did one a while ago that I could work with a spoke shave and I'm not good with a spoke shave :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:37:41 pm »
Try the Microplane tool for vine maple. it works great.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »
I think Douglas maple is lazier than vine, good wood, but lazier.  I would like to try some more at some point, but all that vine maple!L:)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.