Author Topic: 48# Black Locust  (Read 3901 times)

Offline M2A

48# Black Locust
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:55 pm »
Been working on this one on and off for a long time. Its 48# @ 28", 66 ntn, 8" stiff handle and fades, 2" parralle limbs tapering the last 10" to .5" nocks. Birch bark handle with a dog bane wrap on the ends. Water buffalo tip overlays. 

Design on back is brown, green, and black wood dye. Wanted to do something simple but would also break up the solid color. I think it turned out well. Gonna make time this fall for a few evening hunts with this bow...Only took 3 years to get there :)

Tried for some reflex in this one but it would not hold from the first test bend off the cull. Im thinking ratio of spring wood it a little higher in this piece and that's why. Was a nice straight grained stave with just a bit of natural deflex in one limb and slight prop twist that I ignored.  Regardless its holding at .5" string follow after 1000 shots or so and feels good. Arrows are started , they will have my full attention until complete(when I have shop time)

Was stuck late at work this evening and had it with me so tried to get some nice pics. Hope you all don't mind a few too many. Always welcome a critical eye. Mike

IMG_2254 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2255 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2257 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2259 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2260 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2264 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2273 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2276 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2277 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2279 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2284 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 48# Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:56:51 pm »
  Mike, another excellent bend from you...Nice unstrung profiles...Liking those Birch handles...Good luck this fall bud
                                                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:04:27 am »
like it!
that bark handle looks gorgous  :OK
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 04:04:23 am »
Full draw looks awesome. Finish definitely makes it one-of-a-kind. Congrats, and good luck on the hunt!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 05:03:18 am »
Very nice. Worth the wait. Nice bend. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:29:46 am »
Beautiful tiller! Excellent bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:34 am »
Great job... love that bark grip and that bend is perfect.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:22 am »
That sure looks like a good hunting bow. Lets see those arrows when there done.
Good job.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 08:02:57 am »
I like the unique but not too loud back.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
Very nice. I really like the way that outer limb wiggles out to the tip, and the alignment looks dead on. Shows you made a thoughtful layout. Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:15 am »
Excellent bow wkth a wonderful tiller.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 01:17:23 pm »
Absolutely great all the way around.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:59 pm »
Mike, you did some fine work on that piece of locust.

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:49:09 pm »
Thank you folks for all the positive feed back!. This handle tested my patients with keeping it down. If it holds up over time I will do more this way. working with materials like this is interesting for me, hope to find other ways to incorporate them in builds.
Thanks Upstate, I use to struggle with string alignment. With more experience reading grain and some helpful tips from Don Burchett sure seems to have made a big difference.
Got a lot more work to do on them arrows Danzn Bar. But things are going well so far. I have been lucky as of late and have been getting some Yellow Poplar given to me. They seem to hold up well. Also trying my hand at some footed doug fir that was too short otherwise(only ever made 1 successfully before), taper being too fat always gets me. I think they will spine too high for this bow but going to have some fun trying. Ill expand out when I finish some of the poplar ones and post in the arrow subject. Pic below is where im at now.

Thanks again folks. Mike
IMG_2287 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr