Author Topic: Throwback  (Read 1536 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Throwback
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »
I built this hickory board bow years back for a movie props company. 52" tip to tip, pin nock on one end, side nock on the other, backed with antelope rawhide, sinew wraps at the nocks. Pulls about 40 lbs of draw at 26". I'd hunt deer with it.

It has taken a bit over 2 inches of set, is now a bit uneven in tiller (probably from an incorrect step through stringing.  I don't think I am gonna mess with it
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Throwback
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:13:03 pm »
Do you know what movie it was a prop in JW? I would imagine it spent many days and hours unnecessarily braced.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:39 pm »
I like it! Simple short D bows like that really appeal to me.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 05:58:18 am »
Do you know what movie it was a prop in JW? I would imagine it spent many days and hours unnecessarily braced.
Bjrogg

Initially it was for some BBC documentary/movie about the Little Big Horn, but who knows what else.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:07:57 pm »
Interesting set up with different nocks.  Was that common, or just happened?  Looks solid! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »
That braced profile looks good to me! Hickory reacts to moisture fluctuations big time, so I'm sure that coupled with being braced too long probably accounts for the set.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »
Interesting set up with different nocks.  Was that common, or just happened?  Looks solid! 
Hawkdancer

I have seen originals with mixed nock styles.  In this particular case, I chose a side nock to go with the pin nock so that I could make a really tight loop and prevent the string from falling off when it was unstrung. Apparently, the loop was still too big and the string was lost.  This time I have made it even smaller and then also ran a couple wraps of artificial sinew around the loop on the nock and used a bit of contact cement under the loop in side the nock.  Let's see you loose it again, sucker!!! (And if he does, it's another $20 re-stringing fee down the line some day, so...)