Author Topic: This years hunting setup  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

This years hunting setup
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:59:04 am »
This years setup. Walnut longbow pulling 68# at 27@, 32” POC arrows with 160gr ace standard broadheads for a total weight of 625gr, a braintannes coon skin quiver with a denim cinching section to encompass the arrows. The shirt is hand stitched from a lightweight denim, going for a medieval European style. The shoes are a lace up moccasin I made last year from some leather I got from hobby lobby. The kilt is a Hamilton grey tartan from the Celtic Croft. The sporran is muskrat with the chain strap from Celtic Croft, same with the belt. My knife is a Damascus blade with walnut handle made by Terry Barnet out of what I’m pretty sure is 1095 steel. And the last piece I can think of is the arm guard I got from feathersnwood at mojam last year.
It’s fun to dress in close to period correct and apparently it blends in well enough. Went hunting last night and had a shot at a coyote at about 10 yards while hunting on the ground. But it noticed me and froze as I was aimed before drawing, I started the draw at the same time it froze,  by the time the arrow got there the coyote had spun all the way around and the arrow went where it’s shoulder was.
But this will be my hunting setup this year.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: This years hunting setup
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:49:12 am »
Watch out for ticks and skeeters.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:18 am »
the shirt  is very nice but I think it's a little too noticeable (the quiver denim part too)
white is a nature warning sign after all

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:16 am »
Watch out for ticks and skeeters.  ;D

That's why I prefer loin cloth like Ishi, keeps the biters from attacking the undercarriage of your Ferrari.

In all seriousness,  in Euro Mid Evil period,  wouldnt all hunting be done with dogs and horses at the Lord's behest?  I could see no need to blend in in you're running game to exhaustion or cornering it somewhere.  Otherwise I think I would want something leas noticeable as the denim as well. 

I've seen alot of imagry from the period of the hunters wearing green.  Even a reference from a French guy (I think) suggesting holding a branch between your teeth to hide your face. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:31:06 am »
A generous application of Backwoods Off to the exposed areas an a careful tick check after the hunt!  A green or brown vest over the shirt or even a brown or green shirt would also be somewhat period correct, as would a Scottish deerhound, or an Irish Wolfhound.  But on your manor, whatever works!  Good luck on the hunt! 
Hawhdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:30 am »
Nice kilt.  Is it a wool kilt or one of the modern blends?  I wear a sportkilt for mountain races.  Never tried it for hunting.  (Gets pretty breezy in the mountains around here)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:21:16 am »
Freedom of expression is a right in America last I heard.You've shown enough do it yourself take the bull by the horns attitude,unafraid of failure in the past.Hunt a while and you'll figure it out.I like your bow/arrows and quiver for your set up though.
Pretty cool you got that close to the old trickster.At least your out in the woods trying.That's what it's all about.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:30:03 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:53:50 am »
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may dye or smoke stain te shirt to darken it up a little without changing the look too much, what do you all think? I have a piece of this same material I used as a smoking skirt for a fox hide that has a nice tan color to it. So I may try to copy it feels the look in addition to a nice cover smell. Same with the quiver. I do have a small handful of heavy wool pullovers for when it gets cold that blend in real well. But they may be be too comfy until the temps drop off.
I’m pretty sure the kilt is a lighter weight wool. I ordered a poly/viscous but the tag and itch say wool. So I’m treating it like wool.
It is aweful fun to hunt in this method, when it seems like most people want the newest best camo, with carbon scent killer and electric blocking materials. Using the fastest, shortest bow on the market set up 20’ in a tree. It’s fun to tell them how close I have animals move. I addition to the excitement of the animal being that close.

Kyle

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »
My wife really got in to the Outlander series, I bet if I show her your pics she'll try to talk me in to a kilt for next years hunting season.  Might even let me out of the house for additional hunting.

ETA showed my wife the pics, and sure enough "why don't you go hunting dressed like that?" :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:12:33 pm by dieselcheese »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline ksnow

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 05:26:28 am »
The vast majority of women seem to appreciate a man in a kilt, if worn properly. Every time I wear mine out, whether it is for hiking or out to dinner with the wife, many women want to talk to me. And the questions they ask sometimes, wow. I can't imagine hunting in a kilt where I do. Way too many thorns, briars, prickly ash and ticks and mosquitoes.

I hope your season goes well, best of luck to you. And great that you do it your way.

Kyle

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 06:36:22 am »
Your twig and berries are going to get cold here in a month or two.  ;)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:12:52 am »
Rob,
That's where the knee length hose comes in.  As one regimental SGT Major said, "At 20 below, I'm wearing really long hose!" >:D.  I wear a kilt fairly often, and there is a breeze at the knees!  Some of the question do get interesting, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry