Author Topic: Generator woes  (Read 2167 times)

Offline sleek

Generator woes
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:50:49 pm »
It wont flippin run. A 4 stroke gas gen set. It hets fuel air and spark... has compression.  Well, i say it has spark. I suspect a weak one. It jolts me with a screw driver, but wont spark a plug. Id like my generator to work again. Never had this problem before. Bad condensor? Dirty points? Its covered outside but its mighty wet and humod in coastal north carolina right now.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Generator woes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:04:25 pm »
What I do is pour a small amount of fuel, maybe a teaspoon or less, down the spark plug hole and crank it over a few times.  If it doesn't fire with that then there's a spark issue
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:44:34 pm »
I'm assuming you've changed the plug?

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:00:55 pm »
Fresh gas? Is acting like it’s flooding (plug super wet after cranking for a bit). 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 07:05:20 pm »
Does the plug get wet after cleaning it (wire brush) (S).Gap plug to specs. Check or leave off air filter? :P
Pour out old gas??  -C-Check manual for switches (cut off). :-M
 Mine don't run either but I got a broken knee. >:D O:) Good luck ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »
I got her going again. I think it was just too wet and humid. I moved the dog out and put the generator in yhe dog house to keep it from rain, but the hurricane was too much for it. One dry day and low humidity, and shes going again. Thank goodness.... now if my fridge hadnt just fried when i borrowed my neighbors generator that had a faulty voltage regulator.... i have a fresh road kill im trying to keep fresh. Good eatin.

Such is life

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:56:07 pm »
Good :) :)
Did the road kill get run over by a boat?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 03:24:06 pm »
Now that gave me a big laugh. No, i saw an 18 wheeler hit it. Got lucky and only blew out the stomach. I was able to butcher it and save all but a pound of meat. Got the dogs enjoying the legs, hides in good shape out drying, and 15 pounds of fawn meat in the freezer on ice. I swear its last spot got knocked off on impact. Little guy. But... we didnt have meat and now we do :)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »
Pre tenderized to. I picked up a small button a whike back that got hit in the head right in front of the house. I had almost forgotten how tender the little tasty ones were. Good save.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »
Nothing against taking the "spring critters", it weeds out the dumb from the gene pool!  And they are yummy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 09:06:31 am »
Jerry check your PM
Zuma
SPOTS