Author Topic: Band saw help  (Read 1708 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Band saw help
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »
I picked up this metal cutting band saw at an auction Saturday for $40.  I thought that was a good deal.  It appears to be in good condition except for a blown out tire.  The motor works fine.  When I turn it on the blade slowly walks off the drive wheel.  I tried adjusting the blade guides but that didn't help.  I can't seem to find the adjustment that tilts the upper wheel to align the blade.  I messed around with the blade tension also.  Does it need to be tighter than a wood band saw?  I have very little experience with horizontal band saws.  I noticed there wasn't any rubber tires on the wheels.  Is that normal for metal cutting saws?  Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Band saw help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »
My plan is to make a table for it and use the saw to cut out knife blanks. 

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:33:02 pm »
We have one at work. Tomorrow I’ll check it out and let you know what I find.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:48 pm »
Thanks Ed

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:53:06 pm »
we have similar saws where i work.

no rubber on the wheels is normal for a metal cutting saw.
i'm not sure about the blade tension compared to a wood saw as i don't get to play with big woodcutting band saws too often  :'(

try taking the wheel that's giving you trouble and completely taking it off of the machine, and inspect the shaft it sits on and the bushing inside of the wheel.

one of the saws at my work does the same thing and come to find out, it has a bronze bushing inside of the wheel that's supposed to be the same size as the shaft ( zero tolerance fit ) but over the years it had gotten wallered out a 1/16'' bigger  :o

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:14:16 am »
The one we have is a different brand but looks very similar. I have a manual that shows the adjustment. I can’t post pics. If you want send me a # I can’t text the instructions. Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 03:45:44 pm »
I found a small set screw that tilts the top wheel.  It was still throwing the blade.  I took the lower guide off and the blade tracked fine.  The guide is torquing the blade causing it to come off the wheel.  Since I plan on only using this for cutting knife blanks I am going to try to make an adapter plate to make the guides more inline with the wheels.  It will be just like a vertical wood band saw guide set up.   

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:50 pm »
Clint when the blade is off can you wiggle the wheels? They shouldn't have be sloppy. If they do you probably have a bad bearing or bushing. Just a guess, but seems quite probable.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise