Author Topic: Shopping for a flatbow  (Read 1550 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Shopping for a flatbow
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:58:48 am »
Morning, all.  I am shopping for a flatbow, preferably a hickory or osage with bamboo backing, and could use some advice.

Price is a big issue, unfortunately.  I'd love to be able to lay down $800-1000 for a bow, but that just isn't an option.  I need to keep it around $300 or less. (My family has this crazy idea that most of my salary should go for groceries, medical care, paying the house, and other such trifles)

I don't care too much about looks; I just want a good, reliable, no-frills bow that will shoot well, feel good, and stand the test of time.

There are several makers out there who seem to be making bows that would work for me.  But I've already been warned off of inexpensive bow makers, and I've had a couple bad experiences myself.  So my question is this:  What should I be looking for?  Are there any tip-offs (besides price) to help me sort out the wheat from the chaff?  Also (assuming it's allowed on the forum) are there any specific less-expensive bowyers/companies you've had good experiences with?

Any insights/experiences would be helpful.

Thomas

p.s.  Before anyone suggests it, I am not ready to take the plunge and start making my own bows--too many irons in the fire and no good place to work. 
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline smoke

Re: Shopping for a flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:13:58 am »
Before I began making my own, I bought one from Brisky Bows.  I still have that bow - solid, no-nonsense osage flatbow.  I would recommend them - and affordable too.  Give him a call. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:28:33 am by Marc St Louis »

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:06:02 am »
I hope you find what you are looking for but I'm skeptical.  Maybe someone out there is making bows quicker than I can, but I would imagine a finished bow that you will sell to a customer will have 20 -30 hours in it (maybe more).  Considering cost of materials and time, $300 isn't leaving much for the bowyer, especially for a bow that has the expectation to "stand the test of time". 
A you finish bow blank can be bought for not too much and can be finished with minimal tools.  I've heard good things about James Parker's bows and blanks.   

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »
Yeah, Ben, I've wondered about that.  Some of the cheaper manufacturers seem to be just that--manufacturers who have found ways to semi-mass produce bows.  I'm OK with that as long as they shoot well and don't come apart.  Might have to modify my price range and just save up for a while.

Smoke, just talked with Kurt Brisky.  Seems like a good guy.  I will definitely add him to my list of possibilities.  Thanks.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 12:43:15 pm »
James Parker, Huntworthy Products, a sponsor, has unfinished boo backed bows and glue ups. You might check him out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 01:46:49 pm »
Anybody know anything about Joshua Albanese/Bowskin bows?  My wife has one of his self bows and she loves it, but she doesn't shoot a whole lot.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:17:17 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »
Anybody know anything about this guy?  My wife has one of his self bows and she loves it, but she doesn't shoot a whole lot.

I met the owner when I lived in Columbus, OH, bought a couple of staves from him.  If he doesn't get back to you right away it's not cause he's flaky,  he's a pretty busy guy.  Good guy and very passionate about archery in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:39:38 pm by Marc St Louis »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-