Author Topic: Record breaker?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Record breaker?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 10:27:18 am »
Just think of the wings and drumsticks.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:05:32 pm »
Hawk's comment about the omelette made me hungry, so I ate it.  -C- Two big yolks inside! Yum

No rooster Rob. Just 5 ladies.

Ed, I wish we had some different breeds. I've heard those RI Reds are very good layers. All we've got is white ones. They were the last ones left at the tractor store.

Never heard of candling before Trevor. Do tell!

Maybe Zuma, thought I saw some strange lights over the coop the night before the egg arrived.

Pat, the wings and drumsticks came and went w/ the meat chickens. They were delicious! Probably do it again next spring.  )P(

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:59 pm »
Upstate and his chicken

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
That's an impressive egg.

Back when i lived in farm country one of my chickens laid an egg with no shell.  It was just a transparent membrane thst was surprisingly tough.  I imagine thst hen had a relatively easy go doing her job that day.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 03:57:24 pm »
Hawk's comment about the omelette made me hungry, so I ate it.  -C- Two big yolks inside! Yum

No rooster Rob. Just 5 ladies.

Ed, I wish we had some different breeds. I've heard those RI Reds are very good layers. All we've got is white ones. They were the last ones left at the tractor store.

Never heard of candling before Trevor. Do tell!

Maybe Zuma, thought I saw some strange lights over the coop the night before the egg arrived.

Pat, the wings and drumsticks came and went w/ the meat chickens. They were delicious! Probably do it again next spring.  )P(

candling is very easy, go somewhere fairly darker and just hold a strong light like a flash light (or a candle if you want to do it old school) to the back of the egg. It'll half shine through it, kind of like if you hold a light to your thumb. You can use this to check the eggs before you crack them open. It's a good check for bloody and fertilized eggs, not sure if you'd see a second egg or not. If you google "egg candling" you'll find lots of info about it.

As for breeds, I prefer the australorp (at lease the one we have).
Trevor

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:32 pm »
Only you could find that pic Clint.  ;D

Thanks for the trick of the trade Trevor. I'll definitely give it a try, and I'll do it old school.  )P(

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:12 pm »
I used to have some Red Sex Link chickens. They were some real laying machines.  In the spring time when I really started to put the laying mash food to them,  I would get eggs like that.   They are awesome!
   Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 05:08:45 am »
Pat was thinking the same thing I was. ;) :D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:59 am »
I have always wandered...
Supposed there was a Rooster in the pin...

If you were to allow a double yoke egg to hatch...
Would you have twins ?? 

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 01:15:33 pm »
I have always wandered...
Supposed there was a Rooster in the pin...

If you were to allow a double yoke egg to hatch...
Would you have twins ?? 

David

I was wondering that exact same thing. I have no idea. BJ might know...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 01:54:04 pm »
I've never raised laying hens let alone hatchery hens. My guess would be yes unless one eats  or is absorbed by the other. But then there's the old saying "don't count your chickens before thieir hatched". Maybe neither would make it. We just raised meat roosters. I know if one of them started bleeding it was a goner. Talk about a cruel way to go. Same reason my sisters red boots weren't such a good idea in the chicken pen. Or the saying "they picked at him like a bunch of chickens" not pretty.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise