Author Topic: Pacific Yew Sapling - good stave or firewood?! Please advise!  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Pacific Yew Sapling - good stave or firewood?! Please advise!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:49 am »
Always confuses me whenever I see someone suggest using bow wood and especially yew as firewood. Isn’t yew pretty darn poisonous?
It's a V good firewood. My big Sis used to burn all my offcuts in her wood burner.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 10:53:08 am »
A tidbit of trivia - I seem to remember reading/hearing the "yew" is the origin of "Yule" from the bringing in of the Yule log for the mid winter bonfire of the Celts and other cultures.  Good luck with that stave.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 11:09:48 am »
Always confuses me whenever I see someone suggest using bow wood and especially yew as firewood. Isn’t yew pretty darn poisonous?

Well, I’m new to bow making, so I’m just looking for opinions as to whether this is good bow wood, or worthwhile to attempt a bow with.

As you probably know, not every piece of Yew, Osage, or even ash, hickory, or cherry can be made into a bow.

And yes Yew does have some compounds in it that are poisonous (taxine/taxane), but cherry has cyanide in it, and is used for firewood all over the place. I’ve burnt Yew wood before and don’t have an issue with it. That said, I’m not going to cook my food over it or breath it in on purpose..

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 11:15:18 am »
Yep there is a good selfbow in there for sure.

No need to worry about rings and compression/ tension wood. For now, just make a bow. Lay it out so that when you’re done roughing it out you can pull against the natural reflex of the wood.

Just to be clear, you would lay it out so the the tips are bending away from me at back?

Away from the belly. So your 3rd photos down. The top would be your back

Do you recommend keeping the sapwood on the back, and doing the roughing out by taking away the sapwood on the belly and getting into the heartwood? Result being a high crowned back and flat belly?

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:49 pm »
Looks good! Probably want to thin the sap wood a bit for esthetics on the build but should be fine!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 11:38:07 pm »
+1 to what Blayne said. I use saplings like that for all most all my bows.  I cut some Yew poles just like that this weekend. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 11:44:24 pm »
Yes that is a good stave, imho

Online Mafort

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 02:45:38 am »

Well, I’m new to bow making, so I’m just looking for opinions as to whether this is good bow wood, or worthwhile to attempt a bow with.

As you probably know, not every piece of Yew, Osage, or even ash, hickory, or cherry can be made into a bow.

And yes Yew does have some compounds in it that are poisonous (taxine/taxane), but cherry has cyanide in it, and is used for firewood all over the place. I’ve burnt Yew wood before and don’t have an issue with it. That said, I’m not going to cook my food over it or breath it in on purpose..

Yes yew wood is poisonous and the dust from working it is pretty bad. I remember reading something about the bark being used for cancer research. I also remember that bugs don’t bore into the wood cause it’s poisonous to them as well. Hope to see that bow in the bow thread soon!!! Best of luck!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:30 am »

Yes yew wood is poisonous and the dust from working it is pretty bad. I remember reading something about the bark being used for cancer research. I also remember that bugs don’t bore into the wood cause it’s poisonous to them as well. Hope to see that bow in the bow thread soon!!! Best of luck!
Yeah, but bugs can't read.... they certainly do bore into Yew.
I've been working with Yew for years, it's the dust that is problematic, but even that effects some more than others. Dust extraction or working outside is the answer.
Over the years I seem more sensitive to dust, but never had any real reaction to Yew.
IMO the wood and shavings are no problem, the underbark stuff (cambium) is very dust and nasty.
Yew isn't really a problem, just don't make pine needle tea from it, as that was the Roman's preferred suicide method  :o
Del
PS. Every man is his own safety officer!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:26:12 am by Del the cat »

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:18 am »
I agree with Del. The dust never bothers me from the wood, but the cambium chokes me up. I will scrape the bark off sometimes until just the cambium is left, so i can still draw on the back with a sharpie, and then when I floor tiller a lot of it just pops off. Scary sound for sure! But makes a nice clean back. You can actually leave the bark on all the way as your tillering and it will break off too. Have also cut a stave in the early summer when the sap is flowing hard and the bark peels off very easy when green. Just have to be careful when seasoning. Seal the ends and the back to keep them from checking!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 07:28:27 am »
Woops, back to the topic, I’m sure good bows have been made from worse wood.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:07 am »
One more time Haha -

Do you recommend keeping the sapwood on the back, and doing the roughing out by taking away the sapwood on the belly and getting into the heartwood? Result being a high crowned back and flat belly?

any opinions would be helpful!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »
One more time Haha -

My first response answered this quite adequately.
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »
One more time Haha -

Yes, leave the bark on the back and reduce the belly. Most of the bark will pop off when you start bending it.