Author Topic: Small cracks in tip along rings?  (Read 1535 times)

cool_98_555

Small cracks in tip along rings?
« on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:46 am »
Hey guys I am having a bit of an issue here.  I was working down a stave into bow dimensions and just randomly found some small cracks in one tip.  Looks like it was along a ring but not sure.  It runs about 2 inches down the limb, so I filled it with superglue, clamped it and sanded it back down.  What you see in the pictures is the superglued version.  Is it nothing to worry about or should I consider chopping 2" off each limb and making it more of a recurve?  It is at 66" right now with a stiff handle and I really want to keep it as a longbow if I can and I have a 29" draw.  Just seeing what you all think.  The crack doesn't ever run up to the back of the bow at any point, so I can probably assume it will be fine as long as I don't cut through the back when filing the nocks, right?

Offline Morgan

Re: Small cracks in tip along rings?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:53:41 am »
If it’s along a ring, it’s probably a separation of the rings called Wind shake. When I milled lumber, I got some walnut and white oak logs from the same guy that fell to pieces when cut into boards. I had never seen such a thing. If that is what you have, I wouldn’t trust the stave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
How wide is the tip? You may be able to eliminate the cracks by narrowing that side of the tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:15:57 pm »
They are 3/8" wide and 3/4" thick (you are looking at the thickness in the picture).  The cracks go all the way through to the other side.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:19:29 pm by cool_98_555 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:37:49 pm »
29" draw shouldn't be too much for a 64" bow if you cut 2" off. You can bring the working area of the limb back into the fades to gain as little more working limb. You could probably wrap the tip but you are better off with a clean tip...as long as the wind checks don't continue on unseen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:03 am »
Ok....so you're saying just be safe and chop it off?  Ok I can do that.....I have 2 options i'm playing with here:  1) Cut 2" off both limbs and make it 62" and just make a reflexed bow at 29", or 2) Cut just 2" off of the bad limb making it 64" and asymmetrical with the top limb being 2" longer than the bottom.

Thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:43:04 pm »
Have you already added the handle riser? Pics?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:24:02 am »
Narrow the tips and put a substantial overlay on them, you will be good to go.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:24 pm »
I agree with Eric. If I were doing it I'd be much more concerned that you have tips 3/8 wide and ( :o ) 3/4! thick. Maybe you misstyped? A tip should never be thicker than it is wide.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline osage outlaw

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:28:53 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 08:06:11 am »
A few examples of tips made thicker than wide does not make it a good principle. The danger is that it is easier for the tip to bend sideways than the desired way.

If the thick section is short enough to not bend either way, it will work, but don't think a long tapering tip that is narrower than thick will be no problem.

I've got one example that balances your examples.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:14 am »
It comes down to the design of the bow tips.  Certain designs need a tip that is thicker than the width.  Some designs don't.   To say that it should never be thicker is not true.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:07 pm »
2 phots down...I see 2 cracks.
I'm  wondering why draw knifing them off is not an option.
That's what I've done in the past whenever I could. Draw knife towards the tips.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!