Author Topic: Linen Backing  (Read 1731 times)

Offline GaryL

Linen Backing
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:04:36 pm »
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I was hoping to get some advise regarding linen backing.  I am just starting out and building a board bow from red oak.  I watched the Clay Hayes video on board bows and  I completed the floor tiller process and just about to back this bow I am making. 

I decided to buy some linen as a cheaper alternative to rawhide since I fully expect my first bow to fail and I have some questions about it. 

Should I use one or more layers of linen?  Also, I think I want the non stretching direction of the linen to run from nock to nock correct?

Second, on the Clay Hayes video he was using old jogging pants to hold down the rawhide while the backing dried, is this necessary if I glue down the linen?  Just wondering if that was dependent on the type of backing or a good idea for all backings applied.

Any advise would be really helpful.  I am really excited to see how this turns out and am looking forward to my future journey and hopefully getting to the point to feel confident enough to start on some Osage staves some day!

Offline StickMark

Re: Linen Backing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:27:48 pm »
GaryL,

One layer will be fine.  Glue and the linen weight would be excessive with several layers.  Slows the bow down.
If you heat treat the bow, you should wait until after heat treating to add the linen layer.  Heat affects glue.

A real bad rupture on a bow limb can still split through linen, violently, and silk.  However, all backing protect a bow if you live in a rocky area, and that is one reason I use backing on most. 

Linen I have smoothed out with my hand, watching for air bubble and smoothing, until the glue, Titebond III, starts to set.

Keep us posted on your build. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:06:31 pm »
I've never wrapped a silk or  linen backing.

I'd use Titebond 3 because it is waterproof.

I am trying to remember if I sized it.

If you decide to size the back of the bow with some glue, apply the glue, put some water on your finger and spread the glue. Let it dry.

Apply the glue and water again and put the linen down.

There are directions on my site for silk. Same process.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/silk.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »
I haven't used jogger pants before. You can wrap it with long bandage wraps, or scraps of sheet/extra fabric. Linen offers extra protection, but I have broken two bows that were linen backed so it doesn't make them impervious.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:09:38 pm »
I use strips of old bed sheets to wrap backings if necessary. For silk, linen, snake skins and thin rawhide a wrap usually isn't necessary. Georges method is spot on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryL

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 10:37:19 am »
I would like to thank everyone for their input.  Great site George, that really helps!  I will apply the backing today and take some pics after it dries.

Thanks again!